Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal Study Buddy Request

JerryClarke242JerryClarke242 Alum Member
in General 602 karma

Hello,

I'm probably taking the LSAT again in June. I did a lot better than last time (13 point increase thanks to 7sage) but my score still sucks. Anyway, I still have much faith in the process, and I think I just need to give it more time. I was thinking about doing what @kimmy_m66 did. However, I think I am going to need a personal study partner in order to actually do all the work I need to do to actually do well on this test. I spent 6 months or so studying for the Dec. Test and I am drained because the way I studied was a double edged sword. 6 months, full time, in my room, every day, except Sunday. I cant work and do this at the same time, so I simply studied. Don't do coffee shops because music distracts me. So I disciplined my self and went through the CC but only managed to get a tiny bit of foolproofing in and like just PT 136 in addition to the diagnostic before Dec. Yes I am for real. I didn't postpone because I was desperate, as 6 months alone in my room was starting to take its toll on me emotionally and I figured another 6 months would kill me (metaphorically speaking). Most of my friends live in the States and the few friends I have here in the Bahamas all work so I never see them. Parents work all day to support my brother and I, and my brother is always busy so I don't see much of him. I basically spent 6 months alone and I just wanted it to end so I took the test hoping I would somehow get 143-146 and get into law somewhere not horrible move on with my life, by being a hard working and SOCIAL human being. I ironically got a 136 on the December test so I probably wont get in anywhere decent unless its some kind of conditional acceptance deal. We all know I need to retake it. My mother is against it because she saw what being alone for 6 months did to me. So she made me apply to some schools I still kind of have a shot at so I obeyed. But part of me does not want to be the guy who scraped his way into law school with a 136. Most of us know that the process works. We just need to have the passion to pursue our goals. I believe I CAN DO THIS, but I need help. As I said, I want to try what @kimmy_m66 did by spending a month to Foolproof 1-35 and then resume PTing in February doing at least one a week. Is there anyone who is also about do that or something similar? I need a study partner to go through it with me, because If I go through with this retake, I have to spend another 5 months in my room, but I can't do it alone, not anymore.

Comments

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

Hi Jay,

I have some suggestions for you that might help you out.

1- Go outside for a bit and stop studying for a week

2- Join the June BR Group with only having to do one PT a week

3- Be honest about your weaknesses on the LSAT. If you're scoring a 140, there is a lot of potential to increase your score.

4- Foolproof Logic Games until they are your best friends

I think you're putting a ton of pressure on yourself and working harder to get increased results, and it just isn't happening. If you want a buddy I'll help you out, but you really need to join the group too. You also are re-configuring your brain and that just takes time. If you're patient and trust the process like Joel Embiid, then you're going to do great.

Hope to see you soon.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

Balance is important. It sounds like you put way too much pressure on yourself the first time. You can't study this test 8 hours a day, every day, without rest, and hope to see the improvement you're capable of.

• JerryClarke242JerryClarke242 Alum Member
    602 karma

@"Adam Hawks" I am in the group, I just haven't shown up yet. I didn't need to show up for PT 36 because I BRed it on my own before the Dec. Test, And I was waiting for the results to see if a retake was still necessary. After the results came out, I got depressed so I haven't been around here much and certainly not studying. I keep in touch with @"Alex Divine", so he knows I am not simply ditching. I am good at studying hard but I could use a tip or two for efficiency. Which is why I think fool proofing 1-35 is necessary before actually PTing again. If it takes a month to foolproof and I want to retake in June is a week long break right now really a good idea? And yeah, I put a lot of pressure myself, but this test is hard and everyone works so hard for this test. Some people have kids, the work, they go to college, and they still rock this test. Because they hustle, and they never quit. So if I don't work just as hard or harder, I'll never get to where I want to go. I wasn't trying to overwork myself, I was just trying to take advantage of all the free time I have.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@JayClarke242 said:
    @"Adam Hawks" I am in the group, I just haven't shown up yet. I didn't need to show up for PT 36 because I BRed it on my own before the Dec. Test, And I was waiting for the results to see if a retake was still necessary. After the results came out, I got depressed so I haven't been around here much and certainly not studying. I keep in touch with @"Alex Divine", so he knows I am not simply ditching. I am good at studying hard but I could use a tip or two for efficiency. Which is why I think fool proofing 1-35 is necessary before actually PTing again. If it takes a month to foolproof and I want to retake in June is a week long break right now really a good idea? And yeah, I put a lot of pressure myself, but this test is hard and everyone works so hard for this test. Some people have kids, the work, they go to college, and they still rock this test. Because they hustle, and they never quit. So if I don't work just as hard or harder, I'll never get to where I want to go. I wasn't trying to overwork myself, I was just trying to take advantage of all the free time I have.

You got this, Jay! June gives you plenty of time to take a break this week, and get started going hard in the beginning of 2018.

I don't have much to add since we are talking over PM, but @"Adam Hawks" advice is spot on!

edited December 2017 602 karma

@"Alex Divine" I guess I could try and relax for a few days and get back on the LSAT grind on the 2nd of next month. I was planning on joining you guys for PT's in like the first week in Feb. after I actually full proofed 1-35. When I took the test, I think I only got done with 1-9, and think my brain needs to start from scratch again because my head isn't there atm. Sound good? Or would you recommend a different approach?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@JayClarke242 said:
    @"Alex Divine" I guess I could try and relax for a few days and get back on the LSAT grind on the 2nd of next month. I was planning on joining you guys for PT's in like the first week in Feb. after I actually full proofed 1-35. When I took the test, I think I only got done with 1-9, and think my brain needs to start from scratch again because my head isn't there atm. Sound good? Or would you recommend a different approach?

I think starting from the ground up is the right approach here. You can never get too good at logic games!

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

@JayClarke242 said:

I would just recommend to not time yourself. If the game takes you 30 minutes to solve, that's ok. For now,remove the timing part and just focus on your game rules and discovering the inferences.

602 karma

@"Adam Hawks" noted. Thanks man.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

I could study with you, if you'd like. :) It may not be 'full-time,' but I should be available often between now and June.

• pioneer321pioneer321 Free Trial Member
    328 karma

Hey man, idk if you are already doing that, but if you are really studying that much, are you doing any sort of gym/sports/exercising? Taking a couple of hours off for a workout every other day has has done great things for me in keeping my sanity during the constant work-study schedule leading up to the test.

Also a quick note about coffee shops. I originally began sometimes studying there precisely because it was distracting. But after a while, I truly believe that doing that has built up ability to concentrate. That's pretty important, especially if you'll end up taking a test in one of those centers that sit 100+ people in one room. I guess it might not work for everyone, but give it a thought.