Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I apply this year

poofball97poofball97 Free Trial Member
edited December 2017 in Law School Admissions 4 karma

I'm a URM (black male)

Comments

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

Option 1. I was you, save for the actual score. If you have the right study techniques and you really sacrifice and give yourself time, you can break into 175+ by sept. Can be a huge time-sink though.--A.c.S

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I'd go with 3. That being said, you didn't mention schools besides reaches.

• Sgt. P BweckaSgt. P Bwecka Member
    22 karma

I'd look to apply early next cycle and really start hammering down for the June LSAT. I see very few people who don't regret having applied a bit earlier at the expense of (hopefully) a much higher LSAT score.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I know bein URM provides a pretty sizeable boost, but it isn't that big.

I think you told us a lot, but not a lot that was important to advising you.

How long have you studied for the test?
    What is your goal for a job out of law school?
    How debt adverse are you?

That said, if I were you I would lean toward taking in February, but planning to retake and apply next cycle. It removes stress to have a useable score. Get something halfway use able in February.

Then study like you didn't get a useable score until June or September. I bet any score in the 170s would give you quality options. You would be a splitter at most schools then with a LSAT above median and a GPA below the 25th. As a URM that would definitely get you in and might get you some scholarships in the Top 14. Below both 25ths isn't going to be good though.

Good luck whatever you do!

• jurisprudentjurisprudent Alum Member
    edited December 2017 326 karma

Hey, this is a solid dilemma and not an easy decision. But if I were you, I would take off from this cycle and focus on your LSAT. Because your GPA is on the lower side, you're going to want to maximize your LSAT score (even if you are a URM).

That said, if financially feasible, I would advise that you dedicate full-time effort to the LSAT. The climb from a 148 to a 160+ can be a long one, depending on where you started and how long you have been studying.

Since you have great softs like TFA, a solid LSAT score can compensate for your GPA, especially for the splitter friendly schools in the T14.

Good luck!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited December 2017 23929 karma

It seems like you're interested in attending a top school, so you already know you'll need to retake. I don't think the 5-6 weeks until the February test is enough time to study properly and hit the 160-165 range you're aiming for. Scoring a 148 means you have a lot of work to do with this test. Its not likely to come in a month, though.
    The good news is that achieving many of the points from needed to go from a 148-160 is simply a matter of working hard to learn the basics: diagramming logic games, learning conditional logic, having solid LR strategies for each question type, being proficient with RC, etc.

My vote is going to be to continue working and study with a plan to sit for the test in June. With hard work and 7Sage, you'll be able to hit a 165. No need to waste time and energy trying to rush to take in February when you're not likely to maximize your potential. You say you know you're capable of a 165, so don't take it until you're scoring 165+ consistently on PTs. Miracles don't tend to happen on the LSAT. We score usually +3/-3 from our practice tests. It may take until June/September to hit your target, but it's worth it!

Also, with a 3.3, you really should be aiming much higher. It's not an abysmal GPA, but even for us AA male URMS, it's on the low side. If you are capable of a 165, try to push yourself into that rarified 168-170 zone. Only a literal handful of AAs score in that band, and it could do wonders to offset your low GPA. With a 3.3/168-170, you'd have shots at almost every T6 school + $.
    HYS will still be major reaches, but if you can net a high LSAT, you'll have great options.

Grind. Grind. Grind. Harder than everyone around you and give this test your all. A good score will literally give you life changing results!

Good luck!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    It seems like you're interested in attending a top school, so you already know you'll need to retake. I don't think the 5-6 weeks until the February test is enough time to study properly and hit the 160-165 range you're aiming for. Scoring a 148 means you have a lot of work to do with this test. Its not likely to come in a month, though.
    The good news is that achieving many of the points from needed to go from a 148-160 is simply a matter of working hard to learn the basics: diagramming logic games, learning conditional logic, having solid LR strategies for each question type, being proficient with RC, etc.

My vote is going to be to continue working and study with a plan to sit for the test in June. With hard work and 7Sage, you'll be able to hit a 165. No need to waste time and energy trying to rush to take in February when you're not likely to maximize your potential. You say you know you're capable of a 165, so don't take it until you're scoring 165+ consistently on PTs. Miracles don't tend to happen on the LSAT. We score usually +3/-3 from our practice tests. It may take until June/September to hit your target, but it's worth it!

Also, with a 3.3, you really should be aiming much higher. It's not an abysmal GPA, but even for us AA male URMS, it's on the low side. If you are capable of a 165, try to push yourself into that rarified 168-170 zone. Only a literal handful of AAs score in that band, and it could do wonders to offset your low GPA. With a 3.3/168-170, you'd have shots at almost every T6 school + $.
    HYS will still be major reaches, but if you can net a high LSAT, you'll have great options.

Grind. Grind. Grind. Harder than everyone around you and give this test your all. A good score will literally give you life changing results!

Good luck!

This is 100% all the advice you need. Alex nailed it. If you put in the work, you can do it. But a 148 in December says that you’re not ready quite yet. It takes a significant amount of time to improve at this test, but it definitely can be done. Take June and/or September when your PTs are at least consistently 165+. And yes, 168-170 would open up some really amazing doors for you.