Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Study Schedule

jurisprudentjurisprudent Alum Member
in General 326 karma

Hi guys. I just have a quick question regarding formulating a new study schedule. My last two takes (September and December 2017) didn't go so well due to circumstantial issues as I cancelled both times, and I'm planning to take this cycle off. That said, I'm looking for any suggestions regarding an updated study schedule.

Quick facts about my history:
1. 7Sage veteran, I have done the CC multiple times.
2. I was averaging 163-165 in my practice tests. I've hit as high as168 with a generous curve.
3. My un-timed BR scores are 170+.

By Section:
LG: I have already fool-proofed LG 1-35. (I'm thinking of fool-proofing "new" games from 36-50.) Average about -1/-2.
RC: Needs a lot of work -- not sure how to build in regimented schedule for working on RC. Would timed sections work? Should I work by passage type? I think I have easier passages down, so should I focus on 4 star/5 star passages?
LR: Pretty solid, but still needs work on getting the last few curve-breakers. I average about -8 total (-3/-4 per section).

Lastly, I still struggle with timing in LR and RC -- I don't run out per se, but just really stretch to finish. Any tips?

I would appreciate any insight, thank you!

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

When are you planning on retaking the exam? Is there a maximum time you are willing to wait before your next retake?

• jurisprudentjurisprudent Alum Member
    edited January 2018 326 karma

@10000019 said:
    When are you planning on retaking the exam? Is there a maximum time you are willing to wait before your next retake?

@10000019 Great question, thanks for reminding me - I am aiming for either June or September 2018 (or both). Very flexible with timing, but would like to take it ideally in June. I can dedicate about 4-5 hours a day. I can technically do full time but I've burned out before and I don't want to burn out again.

Target score: 170

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

I know you cancelled but what do you estimate your score was? I would recommend you do timed sections on those difficult passages and harder LR questions. From what I heard from top scorers, there should be a focus on going through the easy questions as quickly as possible while maintaining accuracy so that you can bank more time for the harder questions. If your target score is 170, you realistically need to be averaging 173s, which would be about a 10 point increase from your PT average. I would recommend not only investing more time but also doing different strategies that you haven't done so before.

326 karma

@westcoastbestcoast Honestly, from the September take - probably a 164? Not sure about December as I couldn't finish due to an emergency. I agree about averaging 173s, which is indeed a long way to go... thanks for your two cents.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@jurisprudent sorry to keep probing you but what was your diagnostic? Perhaps you could benefit from 7sage tutoring services to get more personalized feedback to help you push to the 170 goal. Dont get me wrong, the 164 would be a good score for a first attempt, especially if you could get 3 or 4 more points on a retake. With those points you could still be in contention for top 14 law schools.

edited January 2018 326 karma

@westcoastbestcoast No worries! I actually never took a cold diagnostic. My first PT score after finishing the CC was a 155. That's why I feel more or less stagnant in my progress since I've only gained 10 points (at best) since my first PT. I've tried tutors, but I'm more so looking for advice regarding how to set up my study schedule - a mix of RC/LR/LG drills so that I could make the most efficient use of my time in the next few months. Thanks!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited January 2018 23929 karma

For RC, I found it very, very helpful to do a couple untimed passages a day and sort of "fool proof" them like LG. I would type of explanations that included low-high res summaries, MP, author's tone, etc. Doing this repeatedly helped me improve quite a bit. Once you do it enough, you're mind starts to do it automatically when you take timed PTs.

For LR, same thing. I just did untimed question type drilling over doing tons of timed sections. For the ones I got wrong, I'd write out detailed explanations for and set an appointment on my calendar to redo at a later date. I'm a true believe that speed shouldn't be your main concern; mastery should. Learn to do things right, do them consistently, and speed should take care of itself.

If you're missing 3-4 on LR, and don't feel like it's a specific weakness, you may try implementing a skipping strategy. I was basically plateaued at -3/-4 forever until skipping got me my first -2. Shortly after, I hit my first -0. I don't necessarily feel like my LR skills increased all that much in the interim. I just had more time to go back calmly and tackle those curve breakers.

Here's a cool skipping webinar JY did you should check out: https://7sage.com/webinar/skip-it/

326 karma

@"Alex Divine" Great tips. Thank you!

• rebecca.liujingrebecca.liujing Alum Member
    334 karma

I would suggest that you put in more effort with LR because if you are looking for 170+ you must hit -1/2 per section with LR and that’s totally doable as long as you put the effort in. RC’s more unpredictable and your LG seems good, as long as you just keep foolproofing those more recent games starting from PT 36

326 karma

@"rebecca.liujing" Thanks. I read your post recently about your success -- it was insanely inspiring. Congrats and best of luck in applying!