Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Restarting the CC

Matthew-1Matthew-1 Core Member
in General 37 karma

Hi Friends!

I am hoping for some advice.

My situation: I am a college senior who, due to unforeseen circumstances, only completed 1/2 of the CC last summer and hasn't looked at 7sage since September. Admittedly, I also struggled with the sheer volume of the problem sets in the Ultimate+ curriculum, which were exhausting and took hours to review. My diagnostic score was a 155, and with nearly all my wrong answers coming from LG, my goal is to score a 170+ on the June exam.

With all that said, I was wondering if any 7sagers could offer some advice as to my next steps. I have considered the following options:

1- Re-start the CC, doing less problem sets and only skimming material I've previously covered.
2 - Because 7sage encourages longer studying periods than ~ 5 months, I am tempted to go to Kaplan/PR who have 3-month models, and use 7sage as a supplement.
3 - Begin where I left off and review the CC if weaknesses arise when PTing, especially since my primary focus is LG.

Does anyone have thoughts on what I should do? Any of the above/something else? I am open to any advice (within reason lol). I know my goal is ambitious, but I'm going to try! Thank you :)

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited January 2018 23929 karma

@"Matthew-1" said:
    Hi Friends!

My situation: I am a college senior who, due to unforeseen circumstances, only completed 1/2 of the CC last summer and hasn't looked at 7sage since September. Admittedly, I also struggled with the sheer volume of the problem sets in the Ultimate+ curriculum, which were exhausting and took hours to review. My diagnostic score was a 155, and with nearly all my wrong answers coming from LG, my goal is to score a 170+ on the June exam.

With all that said, I was wondering if any 7sagers could offer some advice as to my next steps. I have considered the following options:

1- Re-start the CC, doing less problem sets and only skimming material I've previously covered.
    2 - Because 7sage encourages longer studying periods than ~ 5 months, I am tempted to go to Kaplan/PR who have 3-month models, and use 7sage as a supplement.
    3 - Begin where I left off and review the CC if weaknesses arise when PTing, especially since my primary focus is LG.

Does anyone have thoughts on what I should do? Any of the above/something else? I am open to any advice (within reason lol). I know my goal is ambitious, but I'm going to try! Thank you :)

Hey!

1) I think you should restart the CC, skipping over things or going faster through things you are familiar with. But to be honest, with a 155 diagnostic and only having done half the CC, I think you shouldn't be skipping all that much. Additionally, don't feel like you need to do a ton of the problem sets while going through the CC. I did about a third and continue to go back and do them as needed. Do them until you understand how to tackle the questions and move on. Come back to review intermittently.

You should also make sure to fool proof logic games and work the LG bundle.

2) Kaplan/PR have 3-month models as part of their business plan so they can churn out more students. Not to mention, going to Kaplan/PR because their study models are shorter won't help you get better faster. That just not how studying works.

It's like going to a gym with a 3-month membership instead of a 6-month membership hoping to get into shape quicker....

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Hi, @Matthew-1, I can relate. This summer I had an interruption and I was really disappointed. However, the brain actually does think about this exam when we're not studying. This site is great because it organizes the materials in good ways and lets you keep track. Maybe use the Notes feature and start from the beginning. Happy to discuss the CC as well, as I'm in the middle of it right now. Not familiar with Kaplan PR--is this a Kaplan book?

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@"Matthew-1" said:
    Hi Friends!

Especially for logic games going with Kaplan or Princeton Review seems like a bad plan. I used 7sage, but putting aside my own loyalties, 7 sage and Testmasters are the only test prep options I have heard positive things about (other than the Powerscore Bibles and LSAT trainer).

I think you should review the whole CC. If it seems redundant just watch it a little faster, but make sure you understand everything.

Once you are done with the CC, I wouldn't just recommend PTing. I think you should foolproof at least the games from tests1-35. Foolproofing is the best way to improve on logic games. It helped me go from not completing the section on my first test to a -1on the section(because of a misreading mistake) during my retake. Many other people have started even lower and finished at -0 on games. However, if the problem sets seemed like a lot of work, foolproofing is going to be more.
    https://7sage.com/how-to-get-a-perfect-score-on-the-logic-games/

155 to 170 would be a big improvement, but bigger ones have been made by 7 sagers this past year. Keep in mind though that what we are doing is learning how to take a test which was made to defy studying. LSAC used to put holds on people's accounts and investigate them if they had a 15 or 20 point increase because they didn't think it could be done by studying. Over the years this has been conclusively proven false, especially with logic games. However, to beat a test that isn't supposed to be beatable by studying for it requires a certain stubborness. You can't fold when it gets boring, when the problem sets are tedious, or when foolproofing seems mind numbing. Because if you go with Kaplan or PR you are saying that you are not willing to fight for a meaningful increase, that you are settling for the couple point increase they average simply by making people slightly familiar with the test.

• TheAnxious0LTheAnxious0L Alum Member
    587 karma

Best advice I could give anyone is to stay far far away from Powerscore/Kaplan lol.I’ve done both and I really think self study is the best option for nearly everyone because this test is so personal. The most important thing is understanding what you think, and staying engaged with the content, which is nearly impossible to do with a class that caters to 30+ people.

Your money is better spent going over the CC, and then hiring a tutor from 7Sage if you need for the questions you are struggling with.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

I would absolutely not do Kaplan and supplement with 7Sage. I took Kaplan last summer and took full advantage of all their videos, etc. and I can tell you that the way that JY teaches is different than Kaplan. You will definetly be confused and may take longer to study. I was going to retake Kaplan again but now I won't even do that because I really like the way JY teaches and I don't want to go back to learning the way the Kaplan folks teach. Its very, very different.

• twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma

Highly recommend similar advice posted above to start at beginning of curriculum and confirm your knowledge of the core skills JY provides in the lessons. Many of us came from different prep company's materials and sped thru the CC deluding ourselves thinking we had a grasp of the core concepts.

One thing that I think is not emphasized enough is that it is not necessary or even recommended to do all of the Practice Sets with the Ultimate + package during the CC phase. When working thru a lesson, do enough practice sets to gain confidence in the basic skills then when you start the PT phase, the value of the Ultimate + practice sets will really come into play for targeted drilling on your personal weaknesses (especially using the analytics to identify those areas.)

Highly recommend watching @"Cant Get Right" Sage Josh's video to make a solid study plan moving forward :)
    https://7sage.com/webinar/post-core-curriculum-study-strategies/

All the best!