Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I write a Diversity Statement?

Hey guys, I am debating whether I should write a diversity statement or not. I am already writing about a socio-economic challenge that I overcame in my socio-economic addendum and I don’t really have a topic to write for my diversity statement aside from the fact that my family was dirt poor but we still moved around the world in search of a better place to live and so I got to live in different cultures and learned to adapt. Is that a good enough topic? Because I don’t see how that could contribute to the classroom discussions. Maybe I just don’t know enough of what they want

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I think that could work. I haven't heard anyone specifically reference a socio-economic addendum, although I've seen specific prompts from a couple schools I think.

But I could easily see where you could write a diversity statement based on having a truly "global" perspective and experience with many different cultures. Although I know also that I've seen it said, if you don't have anything to write a DS about, then don't write one. It shouldn't be forced. So if you don't think you're coming up with a way that it works and makes sense, then it's better to skip it.

• ahg_7700ahg_7700 Alum Member
    edited January 2018 64 karma

I would suggest that you start writing out a diversity statement and then compare it to the socio-economic addendum you've already written. If you are saying the same things, or the two overlap a decent amount, I would say just stick to one of the two essays. Law school AdComm's have so much to read-- I've been told that every item you submit should be different enough that it merits its own read through!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

I've never heard of a socio-economic addendum. That sounds an awful lot like a diversity statement to me, and I'd combine the two into one narrative that addresses both. Sounds like a really powerful story; I think it will add a lot to your application. Good luck!