Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do I do?????

arezookeeperarezookeeper Free Trial Member

I went to a top 30 liberal arts undergraduate college. Throughout college, I had an undiagnosed learning disability, so my GPA is a 3.42, which I wrote an addendum for. I was really, really hoping to do well on the LSAT to make up for it. Since August, I have been scoring consistently between 173-178 (w/out blind review). I took the June LSAT, cancelled. Took the September and December and just bombed on both days, getting a 167 and 169 respectively. I am also an URM. I applied to almost all my schools before Christmas, but during the holiday break, and have another three to submit. All of the schools I have applied to are in the top 30, the majority in the T14.

Should I wait to apply again next cycle? I was already planning on taking the June LSAT to see if I could negotiate scholarship money, but am wondering if I should just put it off another year. I am especially worried with the passing of the new PROSPER act in putting if off another year since I want to pursue public interest. Thank you in advance for any advice!

Comments

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Do you mind sharing what goals schools you are shooting for?

• arezookeeperarezookeeper Free Trial Member
    8 karma

@tringo335 sure! Because of my GPA, I feel like all my schools are kind of reaches. Reaches: Columbia, Chicago, UPenn, UVA, Berkeley, Georgetown, and NYU. Usual suspects type deal. My safer schools are WUSTL and Irvine.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    edited January 2018 3279 karma

I wouldn't stress too much. Your GPA is low but it isn't horrendous. Your LSAT score is decent for a handful of the T14 schools. Not sure how much the boost for URM varies among different URM groups, but that could play a big role for you (https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/do-underrepresented-minority-urm-applicants-have-a-law-school-admissions-advantage). Look at the LSN plots for some of the schools you applied to.

• arezookeeperarezookeeper Free Trial Member
    8 karma

@10000019 said:

I wouldn't stress too much. Your GPA is low but it isn't horrendous. Your LSAT score is decent for a handful of the T14 schools. Not sure how much the boost for URM varies among different URM groups, but that could play a big role for you (https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/do-underrepresented-minority-urm-applicants-have-a-law-school-admissions-advantage). Look at the LSN plots for some of the schools you applied to.

I hope that's the case! I feel that I'm in a bit of a weird position in regards to URM as well. I am an immigrant from Iran, but according to race/ethnicity forms, I am white/Caucasian. I very much do not agree with that classification, but was wondering if it mitigates or altogether diminishes any URM advantage I may have.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@arezookeeper said:
    @10000019 said:

I hope that's the case! I feel that I'm in a bit of a weird position in regards to URM as well. I am an immigrant from Iran, but according to race/ethnicity forms, I am white/Caucasian. I very much do not agree with that classification, but was wondering if it mitigates or altogether diminishes any URM advantage I may have.

You are not a URM for law school admissions. If you are a first generation, then you can talk about that in your diversity statement.

If you applied to any of those schools marking a box besides Middle Eastern, Caucasian, or Other you should get in touch with them ASAP.

• lTexlawzlTexlawz Free Trial Member
    277 karma

169 is still a good score on the LSAT. You should not put pressure on yourself. You are doing the best you can. I would not lose faith. You can still get into a good law school. In end, the race is with yourself and no one else. If you are working, you can open a brokerage account and put money aside into and allow someone to manage it. You can use money from the investment to pay for law school. I put money aside and did it. You can still get into a good school and live your dream. Don't lose heart and hang in there. :-)