I am having a really hard time staying awake during the test. I zone out around question 13-15, and come back by 20, but does anyone have tips to remain more alert? I'm not a caffeine person but maybe i need to become one. it just really messes with my sleep so i try to avoid it. I know that it's my biggest problem--i'm like -2/3 on each section and it's always the ones where i'm tired.
6
9 comments
I have the same problem with staying focused. I've read that trying to sit up straight instead of slouching can help with getting oxygen to your brain. Also, doing some light stretching or massaging my shoulders/face (though it sounds weird lol) helped me stay alert between sections!
If you haven't tried them there is a product called Neuromints that have L-theanine and Caffeine in them as well as B Vitamins. I use them with studying to remain awake and focused as I typically am studying after a long workday. Like @EzraG said caffeine can be helpful.
Do you think have an underlying medical problem? Taking the LSAT and not getting my goal score because of insomina is actually what made me finally see a doctor for it. I take medication for sleep now and it's helped me out in most parts of my life, including the LSAT.
Probably less of a energy issue and more of an attention span problem. Are you suddenly revitalized after finishing? That's a feeling fo relief, you are fighting for flight trying to seek comfort. These training sessions are meant to push you so we can strengthen those muscles required to complete the long distance endurance.
Try to cultivate habits that will support your redevelopment. Get away from things that will damage your attention span, and start to invest in more delayed gratification.
After a section try to stand up and stretch, 5 Exercises That Promote Circulation To The Brain
Also they say the breathing exercises work.. even if you don't believe it, inhale for 4s-hold it a bit, and exhale for 6s. Timing doesn't matter as much as 1:2 - inhale:exhale ration.
In time things come more naturally. Think of it like getting the ball in a game, when you are a young rookie and inexperienced there's so much panic: what to do, time running out, stress runs up. When the veteran gets the ball they're relaxed, they're been there plenty of times before, there isn't that panic before, instead they have control and rather than react can think about what they want to do, how they will achieve it, what tools they can pull out.
It really is practice, practice, practice.
Sounds like you have done some really quality foundation work. You have a strong launch out the gate, and good approach which is really showing through on those short session sprints. The problem comes later on, because you never trained for long distance, so it is not feeling the same as the sprints- yet.
Keep working on it, try to have patience, and good things will come in time to those who put in the effort.
There could be a lot of reasons why you are feeling drowsy or unfocused during the test, but I also have a lot of issues with energy and concentration so here are a few tips I think could be helpful (besides getting 7-8 hrs of sleep consistently):
Caffeine could be a big help, and you can try a beverage with less caffeine if you are sensitive to it. Green tea is really nice because it has a moderate amount of caffeine as well as a compound called L-theanine that reduces the jittery sensation of caffeine and makes it feel more stable. Also, the half-life of caffeine is around 6 hours, so if you take it early enough in the day it shouldn't effect your sleep too much -- ofc this differs person-to-person so do whatever feels best.
Try to get at least some regular exercise in each day. You might already be doing this, but like a 30 min walk per day can help regulate your circadian rhythm and help with focus. Exercise has a similar effect on your brain as taking stimulants does.
Eat something before testing that is rich in both carbs and protein
If you notice yourself losing focus during the exam, pause, take a deep breath, and feel your feet on the ground for a second. Taking a beat to reorient your focus and take note of your mind and body is super helpful.
The LSAT is a test of mental endurance just as much as it is a test of logical reasoning and reading comprehension. Taking direct steps to assist your stamina and mental clarity is crucial to success IMO
@EzraG Also I'd add to this one thing I do before taking a practice test to calm my nervous system and promote mental clarity: alternate nostril breathing. It is a yogic breath exercise in which you alternate inhales and exhales through each nostril. I do this for like a minute or two before each half of the test
Hi! Something I do is get sunlight as early in the morning as possible, also exercise if that works with my schedule that day. I have a sunlight lamp for the cloudy days (I live in Canada) which I find is reslly helpful, especially paired with a Vitamin D supplement. I take deep breaths when I feel tired, and if it’s a result of poor sleep, I deliberate if I need to take a break.
I take espresso shots just before the test. Just quick energy boosts
I do the same thing. I've learned i need more sleep to be focused. I try to get at least 8 hours. I also have learned I need to make sure I eat something for energy.