User Avatar
•

Sunday, Aug 30

🙃 Confused

Debating on taking LSAT again

I got a 160 on the August LSAT, which is not terrible, but I would really like to get a higher score. My concern is that I might not get that much higher of a score and may be better off just applying now. Should I retake in November and apply for 2027 as soon as that score comes in, or should I just apply now?

I am also concerned with how much money I feel I am spending on retaking and studying, but my work schedule is loosening up soon. I don't want to sell myself short, but I also don't want to put myself in a worse position.

3

9 comments

  • JacobBaska Admissions Strategy Expert
    Tuesday, Sep 1

    I know I'm all over these message boards encouraging people to apply pre-Nov 1 because of the likely high numbers of apps this year, but the #1 rule is always that you should apply when you believe your app is at its best. If you believe you can do better in November, that could be a very reasonable reason for holding your apps back a smidge.

    So here's another way you can think this over. It's a two-pronged test.

    1) Do you have reason to believe you can do better? For example, you were consistently practicing higher than a 160 when you took the August LSAT. If so, it's reasonable to think that you could do better in November. On the other hand, if you were PTing closer to the mid-150s, that 160 represents a high point and I wouldn't say it's reasonable to expect to score higher in two months.

    2) Would an increase make a difference? For example, if you're targeting schools with medians in the 150s, moving from a 160 to a 162 probably won't make a substantive difference for admission but it may lead to a little more scholarship. But if you're targeting schools with medians in the low 160s, moving from a 160 to a 163 may make a substantive difference just for the purposes of admission.

    I hope that helps!

    2
    Edited Wednesday, Sep 2

    @JacobBaska I appreciate this feedback thank you! I want to also say thank you for your dedication to us 7sager's because you have answered every application question I have posted.

    I blind review in the 170's so I am hoping to get the timing on lock, and practice in louder environments because my testing center was rather loud and distracting. I think it may be best to apply to safety and target now, send LOC's and then try my super-reaches if I get better in November.

    1
    JacobBaska Admissions Strategy Expert
    Wednesday, Sep 2

    @KSki 1) Merci!

    2) Double check every school's policy for how they consider reviewing apps that are complete if not for a pending LSAT (ie, "I think it may be best to apply to safety and target now"). They may just hold your app until that later LSAT arrives. Additionally, LSAC will inform them that you have a pending LSAT and will also automatically update the schools with the new score when it arrives.

    2
    Thursday, Sep 3

    @JacobBaska Say I am not sure if I am retaking it, as I do not have to register until October 1st for the Nov. LSAT: on applications that ask me if I plan on taking the LSAT again would it be better to say yes or no? There is no option for undecided.

    But I was planning on studying and drilling the parts I really struggle with and taking a pretest in the end of September, then decide if it's worth trying again in November.

    I feel like either way I answer, if I chose the other option they may think I am a lying liar. But I also don't want to make the impulse decision just yet.

    1
    JacobBaska Admissions Strategy Expert
    Thursday, Sep 3

    @KSki You would have to make a call on informing them of that future LSAT. Then, if your plans change, you would have to email the admissions office with the updated information. It’s not a huge deal to do this, but it’s one more thing to do.

    So let me throw this out there to you - if you’re going to take that pretext at the end of September, why not just apply then if necessary? There’s no benefit to applying on September 5th vs October 5th so you have time!

    2
    Thursday, Sep 3

    @JacobBaska Thank you!

    2
    Thursday, Sep 3

    @JacobBaska Wait, why do you say there's no benefit to applying on September 5th vs October 5th? I thought submitting applications as EARLY as possible (eg., Sept 1 as opposed to Oct 1) could make a huge difference in an applicant's acceptance prospects...

    2
    JacobBaska Admissions Strategy Expert
    Edited Friday, Sep 4

    @PrincessD This is because of logistics on the side of the admissions office!

    Here's what's happening in admissions offices literally right now ...

    • September 1st just happened so our application is open. Am I reading apps RIGHT NOW? No, because...

    • I have to do my standard ABA reporting about the incoming class which is due in a month and is a pain in the neck. But why am I doing that now instead of in a few weeks? Because...

    • Our travel schedule of law fairs and recruitment events is about to kick into gear. From mid-Sept through late-Oct, my staff will be traveling to the four corners of our country to attend lots of events. We won't all be back in the same place at the same time until Halloween at the earliest.

    That's why there's really no substantive benefit at most schools (emphasis added because - yes - every school does things differently but we're just speaking in generalities here) in applying September 5th vs October 5th.

    "But," you may say, "don't admissions officers read the apps in order by the date submitted?"

    Not necessarily! Our review queue is like a big sortable Excel spreadsheet. I could read in order to date submitted. I could also read in order of date completed, by LSAT, by GPA, alphabetically by first name, etc.

    I hope that explains things! And again, this is very much general advice. Every school is a smidge different! And this is different from my advice all over these messages boards that you want to apply pre-November 1. That's because you definitely want your apps to be there in the first batch once the admissions office is done with their recruitment travels.

    2
    Monday, Sep 7

    @JacobBaska Thank you!

    1
You've reached the end of the comments.

Confirm action

Are you sure?