I've always read the Q stem first.

It was to my dismay that, recently, I saw JY reading the stimulus first in a live attempt video. I didn't know such an approach was commonly used.

It's true that occasionaly, reading the Q stem first felt like it might not have been the fastest approach. But those occasions were rare.

Help me fight my approach crisis please:

What's your approach and why? And I'm hoping the answer isn't "whatever feels best" xD

1

3 comments

  • Wednesday, Sep 23

    i read the RC passage first, why not the stimulus in LR as well? When I try to read the question stem first, I always forget to do so, and then I end up still reading the stimulus and flitting back to the question stem and then back to the stimulus haha. I’ve accepted that my mind simply insists on continuing to read from left to right, the way i’ve read all my lifeeeee

    2
  • Wednesday, Sep 23

    I do the stem so I have an idea of what to look for, ex. Looking for a gap!

    2
  • Wednesday, Sep 23

    Unfortunately, it's what ever feels best but maybe this will help give you an idea of what works best for you.

    I prefer to read the stim first because I feel like I'm doing a good job of tracking the stim and having a prephrase ready. Quite a bit of the time, I have a good idea of what the answer will be even before checking out the question.

    On the other hand, reading the question first gives information about what you're going to be trying to answer. If you feel like this helps you orient yourself going into the stim to find your answer, this might make more sense for you.

    1
You've reached the end of the comments.

Confirm action

Are you sure?