Hi everyone! Trying to do less doomscrolling and more reading during my free time, as many have said it helped them keep their brain working even when not actively studying for the lsat. Any interesting/favorite reads anyone can recommend? I haven’t read for leisure in a while! Thank you in advance!

4

11 comments

  • Sunday, Sep 27

    I’m currently reading The Art of Thinking Clearly, it’s really cool! The chapters are all different thinking fallacies, they’re only like two pages each, and have already changed how I think about things!

    5
  • Sunday, Sep 27

    I’m currently reading Justice: What’s the Right Thing to Do? by Harvard professor Michael Sandel! It uses real-life cases and moral dilemmas to explore justice, individual rights, and what makes a law fair.

    5
    Monday, Sep 28

    ^I second this. This book is amazing, and written in a pretty casual style so it's not too bad to get through either

    2
  • Edited Monday, Sep 28

    I read Brothers Karamazov before my August test and it was amazing and honestly helped my RC!! Seriously recommend, the chapter on defense attorney speech was also gold. Just don't read before bedtime tho haha

    2
  • Edited Monday, Sep 28

    Thomas Sowell writes with a very sound structure at an academic level. His writing has been used in RC passages.

    I would recommend The Thomas Sowell reader, it provides a compilation of RC like passages from his syndicated column over the years. I am reading A Conflict of Visions now. The Quest for Cosmic Justice was used for Prep Test 128, Section 4, Passage 4.

    Milton Friedman's Free to Choose is also very logical and well-structured in the same form presented in RC. Avoid Aristotle and Nietzsche for now as it is too heavy to lend itself well to RC methodology. You can practice your RC tactics very effectively onto Sowell's works.

    2
  • Monday, Sep 28

    I read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn recently and couldn’t put it down. Definitely a classic for a reason!!

    2
  • Sunday, Sep 27

    I've been reading The New Guys the last couple months. Its interesting because its about Nasa astronauts. It's also helpful practice for RC because its got all the confusing lingo of a science passage with historical narratives.

    2
  • NicolasJ-SirGawain Independent Tutor
    Sunday, Sep 27

    The Feast of the Goat

    2
  • Sunday, Sep 27

    If you haven’t read in a while, I recommend starting again with fiction! You will have an easier time replacing doomscrolling if you actually enjoy the book. Some of my favourites include Malibu Rising (gen fiction), The Book Thief (hist. Fiction), The Song of Achilles (myth retelling), and You Deserve Each Other (romcom). Have fun!

    2
  • Monday, Sep 28

    Currently reading "Hollywood, ending" which is John Green's latest fiction book that just came out! Only a little bit in but I've been enjoying!

    1
  • Monday, Sep 28

    I really enjoyed The Nix by Nathan Hill!

    0
You've reached the end of the comments.

Confirm action

Are you sure?