Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For those who have scored above a 170+, how many PT's (post-curriculum) did you do?

pomegranatespomegranates Alum Member
edited January 2017 in General 139 karma
I know it will differ for each person, but I usually hear the norm is around 30+. I'm just wondering if this is your case as well?

Comments

• danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited January 2017 4181 karma
    I did all of them, aside from the maybe 1-20/30-something, though I did use those PTs for individual sections and prep material. I also did retakes, which is a huge help in getting your score up. I imagine you could take less PTs if you didn't make some of the mistakes I did, but I would not recommend anything less than 15 (I of course took a lot more than this), unless you had a high diagnostic and begin hitting the 170s very early and consistently.
  • Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma
    @danielznelson said:
    I did all of them, aside from the maybe 1-20/30-something, though I did use those PTs for individual sections and prep material. I also did retakes, which is a huge help in getting your score up. I imagine you could take less PTs if you didn't make some of the mistakes I did, but I would not recommend anything less than 15 (I of course took a lot more than this), unless you had a high diagnostic and begin hitting the 170s very early and consistently.
    So much YES.

Unless by some miracle I start hitting 180s consistently, I plan to do all of them before my sit in June 2018 (I've postponed twice to get to this date) + the 6 between Dec 2016 (#80) and then.

It's not just the amount of PTs you need/want to complete, it's the BR and analyzing and exposing weaknesses of each PT that is probably the most helpful part of the entire process (post--CC) in order for you to reach your fullest LSAT potential. (quoting all the Sages and mentors).
  • Dark Knight VDark Knight V Member
    194 karma
    I did 16 PTs post CC and scored a 170. My diagnostic was a 157, and my avg score before test day was a 164. If I could go back and do it all over, I would take more PTs (20+) - I definitely felt like I was on a plateau in the mid 160s. I only scored a 170 on one of my PTs and had a good test day.
  • Wind-Up BirdWind-Up Bird Alum Member
    284 karma
    All PTs from 36 onwards. However, I regret not looking over earlier PTs, since September's virus game kind of threw me off. If you have the time, it's definitely beneficial to do as many PTs as possible before your test.
  • dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma
    @"Wind-Up Bird" Do you mean the LG of earlier PTs are more weird?
  • Wind-Up BirdWind-Up Bird Alum Member
    284 karma
    @dennisgerrard Yes. The logic games in PTs 50 - 60 become highly formulaic and recognizable. I've never done any of the earlier PTs, but students have mentioned that there were a fair number of "unique" games, including a game that was similar to September's virus game.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    Just make sure you're doing good BR with a thorough follow up. Every PT is going to expose weaknesses and it's really important to identify those weaknesses and address them before moving on to the next PT.
  • burnyoubad69burnyoubad69 Free Trial Member
    72 karma
    took 18 prep tests to average around 169, broke 170 4x under 160 -0nce 158why ?