Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FINALLY broke an LSAT barrier!

cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
in General 737 karma
I know it may not be much, but I finally broke an LSAT barrier and scored in the 150's 150 and BR 157! Again, I know it's nothing amazing and very mediocre for many people, but considering all of my prior PT's had been 144 and below, I'm glad I finally got into the 150's haha.

I'm preparing for the June exam and kept telling myself I better break into the 150's soon if not my confidence and motivation was just gonna be horrible. Really motivated to study now and reach my goal of +160 by June. Thank you to all the awesome people here at 7Sage!

Comments

• DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited January 2017 7468 karma
    Congrats! It's great to see improvement! Given your BR score, I'd recommend making frequent visits back to the core curriculum. There's at least 30 questions that mastery of the fundamentals, all included in the core curriculum, would help you get correct in the future during your BR (and, hopefully, later on a timed test).

Make sure your grammar is spot on.
    Make sure your translating of logic is spot on.
    Make sure your parsing of the argument parts is spot on.
    Make sure you have memorized and can recognize the 20 most common flaws.
    Make sure you have memorized and can recognize the 9 valid arguments.
    Make sure you can negate statements (especially conditional statements) in your sleep.
    Make sure you can recognize argument types (analogy, phenomenon/hypothesis etc.).
    Make sure you know what to do when you see a correlation in the premises and causation in the conclusion.

This is just a cursory list of things that the core curriculum spells out explicitly. Be brutal with yourself in assessing your level of mastery. Like any skill (be it golf, playing the violin or coding a computer) to gain mastery, you have to always come back to the fundamentals.

Great work and best of luck!
  • LnanncampbellLnanncampbell Alum Member
    104 karma
    I love it when people post their successes up! It's so inspirational to see what people can accomplish with hard work! Congratulations!
  • draj0623draj0623 Alum Member
    916 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor said:
    Be brutal with yourself in assessing your level of mastery.
    This is very effective in pushing yourself forward. Think in terms of 180 and learn from every single mistake. It's great to know that improvements can and will be made! LSAT cannot defeat US! <3 In solidarity.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27859 karma
    Congrats! That's an important milestone! Keep at it and study smart; you'll continue to see growth and improvement. I agree with Dave @DumbHollywoodActor that fundamentals are key right now. Your BR score is your max potential, so first step is to boost that comfortably and consistently into the 160s. From there, it's just a matter of closing the gap.
  • texvd1988texvd1988 Member
    605 karma
    Be super proud of yourself and don't undersell what you have accomplished. This is the first step to your future, and you will get there. You will get there, and I wish you continued success!
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Congrats!!! at this rate you can achieve your target score by June for suuuure :)
  • cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
    737 karma
    Thanks everyone, I will certainly keep all of this in mind! It's always great to know that we're around such a positive and supportive group of LSAT students.
  • rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    1063 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor said:
    Make sure you have memorized and can recognize the 7 valid arguments.
    sorry to ask this but do you know the lesson or lessons where this is covered? is it the flashcards section?
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    https://7sage.com/lesson/advanced-valid-forms

And, of course, the lessons before it spell out each of the nine argument forms.