Discussion Forum - Unavailable due to maintenance for several hours today [Update: already done]

Alan Cheuk-2Alan Cheuk-2 Administrator
edited January 2017 in General 3074 karma
Hi everyone, we're putting in performance enhancements for the site today!

Unfortunately, this will take a while, and the discussion forum will be acting strange and/or offline until it is done. I expect the total downtime to be 3 hours or less, and the update will be starting very soon.

Sorry for the trouble!

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma
    Nooooooo! What will I do with my life for those 3 hours?

Jk; ) Good luck <3
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Crap! Today was supposed to be the day I catch up on the karma points.
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    Cool. I'm excited to see the updates! Assuming they're immediately noticeable.
  • The 180 Bro_OVOThe 180 Bro_OVO Alum Inactive ⭐
    1392 karma
    I heard that after the updates, you automatically get a 180 if you've posted on the discussion board in the past few days.

It's hush hush. Don't tell everyone.
  • Alan Cheuk-2Alan Cheuk-2 Administrator
    edited January 2017 3074 karma

@danielznelson Sorry, it's all behind the scenes changes. It should make the site faster for most people, and the discussion forum should be more stable, but there are no feature/design changes. I started the update about 5 minutes ago. Hopefully things will go smoothly :)

3074 karma

Good news, everything seems to be going super smoothly and the forums should be fully available again! We are running on just one server right now, so things may be a little slow, but the rest of our servers should be up in less than an hour.

11542 karma

@"Alan Cheuk" it looks different on mobile

edited January 2017 11542 karma

Jk Emojis don't work for some reason. Ah well.

3074 karma

@"montaha.rizeq". Thanks for letting me know! Could you please elaborate on it looking different on mobile and emojis not working?

10774 karma

Is it me or we can't quote people anymore? : (

11542 karma

It looks more sleek (text wise), when you tag someone the tag list that pops up looks updated, and for your comment above, the smiley face is in Emoji form. I've never seen that on the here. But when I put an Emoji for my comment it didn't show lol. @"Alan Cheuk"

3074 karma

@Sami

You're right, quotes aren't working any more. Thanks for letting me know! I'll see what I can do about it.

quote optioonnn :sweat: OMG EMOJIS WORK!! YOU JUST HAVE TO TYPE IN WHAT KIND YOU WANT!! YUUSSSSS

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma

Ooo it's much faster on my phone and it doesn't freeze up and glitch (disappear and go white) like it used to when I click on discussions. Thanks!

:love: :+1: :trollface: :bawling: :joy: :flushed: :kissing: :open_mouth: :relieved:

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

Looks like the "Likes" are a bit screwy. This thread, among others, is at 7348 likes.

edited January 2017 4181 karma

I do see something new! I can select all of my notifications as "read." That's at least new for me, haha.

Actually, it reads "mark all viewed." Not sure what that means for me.

GIFS DONT WORK!! THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!! :angry:

11542 karma

@Sami said:

We're back in business Sami! :heart:

edited January 2017 3074 karma

@Alan Cheuk said:
    @Sami Is it me or we can't quote people anymore? : ( You're right, quotes aren't working any more. Thanks for letting me know! I'll see what I can do about it.

Quotes are back! In a new format though. Now it's a button below each post. I made it very subtle though, so it doesn't stick out unless you hover over it.

3074 karma

@danielznelson said:
    I do see something new! I can select all of my notifications as "read." That's at least new for me, haha.

Actually, it reads "mark all viewed." Not sure what that means for me.

I don't think that's a feature for notificitions. It's always been there, and it's to mark all the existing discussions and comments as viewed.

4181 karma

@"Alan Cheuk" haha, oh. Thanks for clearing that up.

• SeriousbirdSeriousbird Alum Member
    1278 karma

Wow!! The mobile app is SO fast!! I used to always check on my safari bc the app was so slow.

Also, I didn't know how to quote before, so I think the change is pretty awesome!!

10774 karma

@Cant Get Right said:
    Looks like the "Likes" are a bit screwy. This thread, among others, is at 7348 likes.

Yup. I kept thinking maybe that's because maintenance on the website is still being performed. So does it mean that each post now automatically means 7348 likes ;)

@Alan Cheuk said:

@Alan Cheuk said:
    @Sami Is it me or we can't quote people anymore? : ( You're right, quotes aren't working any more. Thanks for letting me know! I'll see what I can do about it.

Quotes are back! In a new format though. Now it's a button below each post. I made it very subtle though, so it doesn't stick out unless you hover over it.

It seems like when I want to quote something, its quotes the whole message instead of the partial message that I selected and want :(

11542 karma

@Sami said:

It seems like when I want to quote something, its quotes the whole message instead of the partial message that I selected and want :(

That's what I also noticed sami :(

10774 karma

Also, I quoted both Alan and Cant Get Right in my previous post but even though its a quote so I did not have control of it, it seems to only tag the first name, so it's not tagging the right person either : (

P.S. At least the emojis are working :D I am loving this <3

3074 karma

@montaha.rizeq said:

@Sami said:

That's what I also noticed sami :(

Yup - you have to manually edit the quote to get the part you want :(

3074 karma

@Sami said:

@Cant Get Right said:

Yup. I kept thinking maybe that's because maintenance on the website is still being performed. So does it mean that each post now automatically means 7348 likes ;)

Please try force-refreshing your browser. That number shouldn't be appearing anymore.

10774 karma

@Alan Cheuk said:

@Sami said:

@Cant Get Right said:

Please try force-refreshing your browser. That number shouldn't be appearing anymore.

It's still there :(