Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Goals of PI Law/Ed Law

d__villad__villa Alum Member
edited January 2017 in Law School Admissions 98 karma

The purpose for me pursuing law school is to ultimately work in public interest. I hope to get into policy making/changing.. especially education law and disability law. With that said.. I would love to make it to a T14 school.. Georgetown would be a dream come true.. or Cornell.

My husband is applying to veterinary school the same time I am applying to law school.. This limits my choices of T14 schools. I honestly just want to get into a decent school with scholarships that will allow me to work in public policy.

Considering what my goal with a law degree is, is it reasonable to NOT attend a T14 and still accomplish my goals?

I've been doing too much lurking on the TLS forum.

Comments

• alex.e92alex.e92 Alum Member
    edited January 2017 239 karma

I would use this site to leverage your decision making: http://employmentsummary.abaquestionnaire.org.

My gut here is that the t-14 would give you a huge leg up with policy/govt positions considering that there are very few of these jobs and many students, even in the t-14, end up competing for non-criminal PI jobs. That being said, if you end up in a situation where, for example, you can attend a school just outside of the t-14 on a full ride vs. the t-14 financed solely on debt, I think a case could be made for attending a regional school (since PI pays less generally and law school is expensive). I know I just essentially argued for both sides.. ideally you can study for as long as it takes to kill the LSAT and then go wherever you want to :)

Best of luck!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

Sage Allison did an excellent webinar for those of us interested in PI careers.

https://7sage.com/webinar/allison-public-interest/

T14 will always provide you with more options, but it really just depends on what you want to do and where. For flexibility, T14 is hard to beat. But if you know you want to work in DC on federal stuff, for example, I'm sure somewhere like George Washington would be great.

Make sure to do your research on schools too. Different schools are more or less friendly to different fields. And check into LRAP programs!

• d__villad__villa Alum Member
    98 karma

thank you both!