Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seemingly RIDICULOUS Practice

The 180 Bro_OVOThe 180 Bro_OVO Alum Inactive ⭐
edited January 2017 in Law School Admissions 1392 karma

So. I've been in the LSAT/Law School admissions process for a while.
But something happened that I've never seen before today.

A friend of mine applied to a T20 law school.
He/She has solid softs, great life story, and her/his numbers put her squarely in the medians for the school.
He/She has one more LSAT take left and was training hard for her/his take in February.

My friend received this message from the school:

" Hello (Name),

Thank you for your email. If you would like your file complete now, you will need to cancel your February 2017 test registration and email a confirmation of the cancellation. Feel free to contact our office if you need additional assistance.

Best regards,
(admissions person) "

Is this normal??????

It seems like some type of garbage way to yield protect.
Would love some insight on this.

Comments

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

wow.that's unusual. I failed to see the school's motivation.

• stgl1230stgl1230 Member
    821 karma

@"The 180 Bro_OVO" It might just be the school's policy, albeit not a very common one.

Seems like a really roundabout way to yield protect. For it to be YP, they would have to know that your friend's numbers are already at the median, assume that your friend would score much higher on the February test, AND also assume that a much higher score would make them not want to attend their school. I dunno, but I kind of doubt that the school received your friends email, went to their file, and said "nope, if they score higher, we probably have to YP." It really seems more likely to me that your friend sent a general inquiry and someone working the admissions email has a stock answer to provide.