Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting Out!

jaefromcanadajaefromcanada Alum Member
in Logic Games 315 karma

Hey guys,

I've started doing logic games this week... I went through the sequential games section and now on the sequential grouping with a twist games.

I've never done a logic game before and am doing all the Ultimate+ problem sets; and I find most of them incredibly challenging. I don't even know where to start on a lot of the diagrams/inferences.

I'm wondering if this is a natural symptom for a beginner or something I should begin to pick up intuitively. I am trying to do the foolproof method as much as I can... But I'm a little anxious I'm completely inept at this section.

Thanks!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited February 2017 23929 karma

Hey! What you're feeling is completely natural. When I began LG section was the bane of my existence. I was so terrible at first, in fact, I started calculating that I'd at least miss half the games/questions and almost gave up all together. Through hard work, and the help of 7Sage's lessons (especially JY's tutorials/solutions) I was able to get better exponentially. At first, I recommend doing games untimed until you become comfortable. Use a clock that counts up like this: http://www.online-stopwatch.com/large-stopwatch/

This way you are keeping track of time, but not stressing and rushing to "beat" a certain time.

Through doing lots of games over and over, you will start to develop an intuition. What I mean by that is that many games are very similar and the only things that change are the game pieces. For example, one game may have you group fruits into groups, and another game might have you group books into groups... You'll soon see that many games are very similar.

The most important part is to get the basics down: Things like properly and consistently knowing how to diagram and understanding how to read conditional logic chains like the back of your hand.

As monotonous as it sounds, what helped me most was re-watching JY's solutions over and over until I fully understood what I was missing; usually important inferences. Through that you will see that most games repeat or slightly tweak those same inferences.

Also, make sure to review all the lessons on conditional logic.

What exactly do you feel like your issue is when doing these games? I find that 90% of the challenge is making sure you have a proper diagram and have the ability to really read them and deduce/extrapolate other inferences from said diagram.

Most importantly, you just started doing LG this week. I started LG back in August and I am still far from some of the best on these fora. Repetition will ultimately be key. But what your experiencing is very, very normal. It took me the better part of a month before I felt comfortable at all with LG and it is still my least fav section. All I can say is you will get better with practice. Very rarely have I ever heard of anyone picking up the logic games sections "intuitively."

The secret for me has been remember that they aren't hard per say, but they require you to think differently then you're accustomed to. They oddly remind me of a computer programming class I took as an elective. Just the way you have to adjust your thought process.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific games you want to go over together on Discord/Skype, etc.

In sum, don't worry at all. You can absolutely master this section with patience, practice, and diligence. JY's fool proof method has literally done wonders for me ... As well as his lessons on the different types of games and his free explanations. Sometimes I have to watch them 3-4x before it clicks. But, I will say the time invested in watching those videos is well worth it.

Good luck!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

I think @"Alex Divine" covered it. I second that in its entirely and have nothing to add. Just stick with it and you'll get there.

• Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
    2426 karma

I third that too, great advice Alex!

• jaefromcanadajaefromcanada Alum Member
    315 karma

Hey @"Alex Divine"

Thank you so much for all the tips and encouragement.

I'm glad to hear someone else has felt the same way when starting out. I was very discouraged at the problem sets and thought that it wasn't the right fit for me.

But, as you and JY said, I'm going to trust the process and ensure that I do as many games via foolproof method as I can.

What I'm initially having trouble with was getting 'started' on the diagrams. But I think that making calls such as splitting the board will come with time.

Finally, thank you for your generous offer to contact you. I may have to take you up on that. What an incredible community filled with great people.

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Jae Won Hur" said:
    Hey @"Alex Divine"

Thank you so much for all the tips and encouragement.

I'm glad to hear someone else has felt the same way when starting out. I was very discouraged at the problem sets and thought that it wasn't the right fit for me.

But, as you and JY said, I'm going to trust the process and ensure that I do as many games via foolproof method as I can.

What I'm initially having trouble with was getting 'started' on the diagrams. But I think that making calls such as splitting the board will come with time.

Finally, thank you for your generous offer to contact you. I may have to take you up on that. What an incredible community filled with great people.

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!!

Of course man! I struggled with LG for months before it clicked. Like I said, before I found 7Sage, I nearly gave up and figured something was just wrong with me. I promise it will come after you do and re-do games. When it comes to diagramming, you'll see that most games are set up very similarly. And if you ever want to go over games or whatever just let me know and we can link up.

Trust the process and don't skip the basics! And never feel badly re-watching the lessons. I know grouping games especially took me forever and I think it was because my conditional logic skills were lacking. This community helped me so much when I was first beginning, so I'm always here to help and give back :smile:

I promise it will come and LG will eventually be your favorite section.