Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Flaw in the Reasoning Question Advice

nyc2dc2canyc2dc2ca Alum Member

I am really struggling with this question type. It is the most often question I get wrong in LR.

My current scores are

(-3 to -4) RC & LG
(-5 to -6) LR

If I can get 2 more flaw questions right - they are very common and I always miss 1 or 2 - I could increase my average LSAT from a 163/4 to a 166/7.

I watched YJ's video and the two step video. I also have practiced many questions. I keep narrowing down the final two and keep picking the wrong one....

Please help!

Comments

• jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    1741 karma

I've been going down the list of most common flaws https://7sage.com/lesson/19-common-argument-flaws/ and creating my own arguments which utilize the flaws. This has lead me to a better understanding of the flaws.

Give it a try!

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8694 karma

From my experience a high percentage of flaw questions are "cookie cutter" flaws: things arguments do over and over again. I believe no other question type on the LSAT can one benefit more from remembering an older variation on the flaw in front of them. Whether it be a correlation/causation or a necessary/sufficient, my recommendation would be to gather 25 flaws per day on the question bank and write out explanations. Each time abstracting what the flaw is out and eliminating the cookie cutter wrong answer choices.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8694 karma

Eventually, one can build up an arsenal of understanding of flaws, and once you have assimilated them into your understand you will recognize variations on the flaws. You know you are making progress when you can quickly and efficiently eliminate wrong answer choices on flaw questions. It is also a pretty good thing in my estimation to once in awhile miss one, because it allows one to dig deeper and really solidify what was going on with that flaw. Your arsenal grows.

Best of luck!

• nyc2dc2canyc2dc2ca Alum Member
    107 karma

Appreciate the insights. Will try them out this upcoming week!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@BinghamtonDave said:
    From my experience a high percentage of flaw questions are "cookie cutter" flaws: things arguments do over and over again. I believe no other question type on the LSAT can one benefit more from remembering an older variation on the flaw in front of them. Whether it be a correlation/causation or a necessary/sufficient, my recommendation would be to gather 25 flaws per day on the question bank and write out explanations. Each time abstracting what the flaw is out and eliminating the cookie cutter wrong answer choices.

Yup - Like @jknauf alluded to, I just memorized the list of common flaws and read Mike Kim's Trainer section on flaws. Now I really can see them like math problems without the bullshit details thats don't matter. They will all fall into one of those categories and the time spent memorizing them is well worth it.