Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Video Playback Speed Causing Distortion?

xtrfalconxtrfalcon Alum Member

Hi there! I was just curious to see why on some videos using faster playback speeds severely distorted JY's voice? It seems that instead of the video playing at a faster speed, something happens to the audio quality instead.

I've been biting my tongue on this one but it bothers me that I can't figure out why this is happening. I'm not switching between devices (iOS, Windows, etc. usually studying on my laptop)... and just have it open using IE. It comes up frequently enough where trying to playback at 1.4x means I can't really understand what he's saying because of this distortion. Other times, however, the effect seems to be less dramatic. For example, he sounds like mickey mouse when you 1.4x him in the flammable creosote weaken question video. He's still perfectly understandable here.

Comments

• xtrfalconxtrfalcon Alum Member
    148 karma

Example of some distortion: correlation (video 3 of 33) in causation lesson. Playing at faster playback makes JY sound like he's lecturing underwater while using a tin can. Lol

• twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma

@xtrfalcon said:

Example of some distortion: correlation (video 3 of 33) in causation lesson. Playing at faster playback makes JY sound like he's lecturing underwater while using a tin can. Lol

Haha love the description of underwater in a tin can...

I just checked the "correlation" video 3 of 33 and there is a little bit of a difference between the speed that JY is talking between video 3 and video 2 on 1.4 speed - but I think it is more attributable for the different times that the videos were recorded and added to the curriculum. Adjusting the speed of each individual video play back based on my level of understanding, I have not encountered significant distortion but maybe @"Dillon A. Wright" could help?

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

@twssmith said:
    I think it is more attributable for the different times that the videos were recorded and added to the curriculum.

Tyler is correct - the video is distorted on a lower speed due to the audio quality of that video. It's an older video from when J.Y. didn't have the best mic. :(

We have a lot of the older videos on our list to re-do, but until then, pretend you're scuba diving while he's giving you these lessons. ;)

• xtrfalconxtrfalcon Alum Member
    148 karma

I appreciate you both for responding!! I figured this may have been the case. Oh well.