Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Improving Actual Score to Blind Review Score

jowens7317jowens7317 Alum Member
in General 244 karma

For the past month or two I've been averaging between a 164-167 actual score and between a 172-175 blind review score on the PrepTests, both older and newer. It seems like I've tried and done everything to improve my actual score up to the BR numbers, but nothing really changes, any advise would be much appreciated.

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited March 2017 10774 karma

One advice that I got when I was in a similar situation like you was to bring my BR score to always be around 175 and up. We are always going to score below our Blind Review score. So if you increase your BR score to 175 and higher, the chances are you are increasing your understanding of the test and this will affect your actual score.
    So find out why your BR score average isn't 175 and up because during BR you really do have unlimited time.

Also, have you tried to figure out in your self analysis what's making you miss questions during your timed PT? What should someone do to raise their score varies from person to person and depends on what their weaknesses are.

• poohbearpoohbear Alum Member
    edited March 2017 496 karma

Great advice @Sami!!

Would love to also hear other input and experiences with this as well---I'm currently thinking about how to bring the two scores closer together.

I've also heard about recording yourself and seeing exactly what you're doing right/wrong on the time PT? Does anyone have any thoughts/ experience with this?

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

I recently did the recording a test for the first time base on some Sage advice and it was enlightening. I wasnt testing at all like I practiced. So Im trying to fix that and plan to record at least knce every two weeks now

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

Agree with @Sami and @stepharizona . Pushing your BR to a consistent 175+ is a great next step. Your timed score range is solid given your BR--you won't close that gap a whole lot more until your timed score is pushing the high 170's. Strive for a 180 BR and consider anything less at least somewhat unsatisfying. From there, it really is all about execution and strategy, and reviewing footage is the most powerful tool for developing that.

• 7SageThanks7SageThanks Free Trial Member
    166 karma

When you say "record yourself" do you mean record yourself explaining each answer choice outloud during BR?

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

@7SageThanks said:
    When you say "record yourself" do you mean record yourself explaining each answer choice outloud during BR?

No, they mean record yourself taking a full timed PT.

• dcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdc Alum Member
    edited March 2017 382 karma

@"Cant Get Right" Recall you extolling the virtues of recording PTs and reviewing the footage. Do you have any specifics on what to watch for or note in the review? Thanks!

27809 karma

@dcdcdcdcdc said:
    @"Cant Get Right" Recall you extolling the virtues of recording PTs and reviewing the footage. Do you have any specifics on what to watch for or note in the review? Thanks!

You definitely want to be looking at individual problems and reviewing as much of your reasoning as you can recall. It's amazing how much comes back to you from little things like striking off an AC with confidence. The other thing you want to do is track your timing. So, watch with a stopwatch and fill out a spreadsheet with the amount of time you spent for every question. Account for every second, and then with that bird's eye view, determine how--and precisely where--you could have used your time more effectively.

• tbirminghamtbirmingham Member
    17 karma

Hello, I'm pretty new to the BR review method. There was a 10 point difference between my diagnostic and BR. Is this normal? And is the goal to bring the two numbers closer together?
    Thank you!

27809 karma

@tbirmingham , perfectly normal. And the goal is to first push your BR score as high as you can. If you want a 160, see if you can get your BR averaging out in the mid to high 160s first. From there, the goal becomes bridging the two. So start by working through the curriculum, really taking your time to absorb everything. From there, take a PT, BR it, and those scores will give you a good indication of what your task moving forward will be.