Canada (UBC) no $ or US (Mich/Berkeley/UVA) with significant $?

klewis4440klewis4440 Alum Member

Trying to decide whether it is worth it to go to a T-8 in US or stay in Canada to go to UBC; sitting on a good offer from T-8, admission but no $ from UBC. Am a dual citizen, and want to practice in public interest or move into legal academia; no biglaw aspirations.

Comments

• stgl1230stgl1230 Member
    edited March 2017 821 karma

Unless you are dead set on public interest in Canada, come on down to the states.

I don't know much about UBC and legal academia in Canada, but tbh working in legal academia with your current US options is probably not super viable. If you want to be a US academic pretty sure you need to be at HYS or maybe C or C.

Edit: (sorry, on mobile and pressed send on accident) That being said, Berk/Mich/UVA give you GREAT public interest opportunities. And I would imagine that these schools would enable you to practice in both the US and Canada at ease. I don't know how realistic it is for someone out of a Canadian school to enter American public interest - not that it isn't possible, but I think there are fewer connections. Also, the fact that you have $$ for an American school pretty much seals the deal for me.