Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it essential to use "Lawgic" in LR?

Lil BroomstickLil Broomstick Core Member

I understand it is advocated by JY, specifically in MBT, sufficient/pseudo assumption and parallel reasoning questions. Even if one seems to be getting nearly every question correct without writing the conditional logic down (sometimes I internalize it, sometimes I just think about it intuitively), would you say it is still essential just for good measure?

Comments

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2017 4141 karma

If the gaps or assumptions seem obvious to you that's great! I think about lawgic like traveling in Kenya(the lsat), for example, and not learning some basic Swahili (in this case lawgic). It's fine to not speak Swahili in some areas like the Nairobi and Mombasa, but if the goal is travel throught the entire country without Swahili you're gonna have a lot of trouble. You can guess and figure a few things out, but you would have been able to travel much more efficiently around the country had you learned basic Swahili. Essentially yeah learn lawgic, but if you don't need to write it down--don't.

• jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    1741 karma

Master it.

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma

Yup^

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@golfinguru11 said:
    I understand it is advocated by JY, specifically in MBT, sufficient/pseudo assumption and parallel reasoning questions. Even if one seems to be getting nearly every question correct without writing the conditional logic down (sometimes I internalize it, sometimes I just think about it intuitively), would you say it is still essential just for good measure?

If you're at the point where most of the questions like MBT/PSA/SA are intuitive and you are getting them correct; I would say to keep doing what you're doing. I think there's always going to be 1-2 per test that cause me to have to diagram something during LR. It used to be more like 4-5 when I began so knowing your "lawgic" is imperative whether or not you diagram it or do it in your head.

However, during BR make sure to break down all the questions. Once I stared doing this (quite recently actually) I began to see some definite improvement with my score, confidence, speed, and consistency.