Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Study Plan

tcookPHLtcookPHL Alum Member
in General 300 karma

Hi everyone! I just finished my curriculum and planning on taking the June LSAT. What study schedules have worked for you and have made you successful? I'm finding it difficult to get into a rhythm

Comments

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

Hi!

I would strongly advocate you following @"Cant Get Right"'s webinar/phases. I am sure he or @twssmith could speak to them better than I ever could.

One thing that really helped me personally was @"Accounts Playable"'s (found below) webinar which you can find below. I found that when I slowed down and dissected questions that gave me trouble, or learned how to read for reasoning structure, I made leaps in my score because my approaches and strategies were much better.

https://7sage.com/webinar/davids-six-tips-on-doing-it-right/

Hope this helps!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@tcookPHL said:
    Hi everyone! I just finished my curriculum and planning on taking the June LSAT. What study schedules have worked for you and have made you successful? I'm finding it difficult to get into a rhythm

Like Justdoit said above me, I generally agree that this is the way to go forward from here. Take PT36, blind review, see where your weaknesses are and drill/review those weaknesses. Don't short change yourself on the blind review process. It can take 4-8 hours to properly blind review a test when you are first starting out. Nonetheless, it is where you will really make improvements. I would also recommend watching all the webinars the sages made. They are informational and inspirational. And both of those things can be very helpful when it comes to this test!

Also. treat the CC like a gym; the more you go back to it the stronger you're going to become. I've probably gone through most of it 2x and I'm not even taking PT full time yet.

Lastly, after each PT really make an effort to go above and beyond while being honest with yourself about areas of weakness. Take notes. You essentially at the point of taking PTs need to become your own teacher in a way. You need to know what you don't know and really work on those things first before taking more PTs. I think drilling/BR is where you're going to make your strides. Taking the PTs themselves are just putting all that work into action to be able to gauge where you're at.

Good luck and always feel free to reach out with more questions!

• Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

treat the CC like a gym; the more you go back to it the stronger you're going to become.

Quite possibly the best analogy I've heard to date. <3

• tcookPHLtcookPHL Alum Member
    300 karma

Thank you so much guys!! @"Alex Divine" as far as a BR protocol how do you guys go through BR? Is there a template you use? I"m currently doing this:

1. Question Type:
      2: Premise
      3: Conclusion/ Argument
      4: Type out my reasoning for the answer I chose and decide if I want to change my answer based on the new knowledge.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@tcookPHL said:
    Thank you so much guys!! @"Alex Divine" as far as a BR protocol how do you guys go through BR? Is there a template you use? I"m currently doing this:

1. Question Type:
      2: Premise
      3: Conclusion/ Argument
      4: Type out my reasoning for the answer I chose and decide if I want to change my answer based on the new knowledge.

Yeah, I generally do something like that for LR. It depends on the problem type, but generally I break down the argument structure, and then write out reasons for why each wrong answer is wrong and each right one is right. Essentially I write out my own explanations.

After I do this, I watch the video explanations on 7Sage or check out LSAT Hacks if I still need another view point.

For RC when I blind review I essentially just re-do the entire section untimed and then meticulously find evidence from the passage to prove my answer/ disprove the ones I eliminate. I also love the video explanations for RC JY makes too. I generally always learn something I missed or re-read. This part generally takes the longest, at least for me.

When I "BR" LG I basically just fool proof the section. I'll re-do them untimed and then watch the video explanations, and do them over and over until I can go -0 on the section untimed.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

The main thing is to take it slow. The temptation to start burning through PTs is going to be really strong, and you've really just got to resist that. You shouldn't take a PT unless you have reason to believe that you have improved since your last PT. There's a lot of work to do between PTs, and you will progress much faster by slowing down and doing the work. Think of each PT as a study cycle.

1. Take the PT. Strict test day conditions.
    2. BR. Don't half ass it. Dig deep into the understanding.
    3. Analyze. Account for every error. Why did you miss what you did?
    4. Create a Study Plan. What do you need to do to address your errors? Identify specific areas of study which will work towards eliminating the errors exposed by the PT/BR.
    5. Study!

When you feel like you've made significant improvement, repeat.

• Pink DustPink Dust Alum Member
    403 karma

@"Alex Divine" I noticed you mentioned you write out your explanations when you do BR! Is that helpful? Like to refer back to or something? I'm thinking that would be so time consuming .....

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Shivani said:
    @"Alex Divine" I noticed you mentioned you write out your explanations when you do BR! Is that helpful? Like to refer back to or something? I'm thinking that would be so time consuming .....

Yes, I think every student should do especially with LR and RC. It is time consuming but the dividends are so high. When you force yourself to write your own explanations you are really teaching yourself and subconsciously uncovering patterns.

It is way to easy to just say something is wrong because X in your head and right because Y and move on. However, I don't think you get as much out of that. Many of the trap/wrong answer choices are very similar in structure. By writing out explanations, you will begin to notice the nuances that make the harder questions hard. I've been finding this increasingly helpful for RC as well.

I usually only refer back to them if I miss the same question. Even then I don't really every look back at my notes to be honest. I do it to make sure I am thoroughly blind reviewing my tests and making sure I leave no stone unturned.

I don't have many PTs under my belt yet, but I like to think of each PT as a juicy orange. You want to squeeze every drop you can get out of it. And by spending 10 minutes breaking a question down and writing out an paragraph explanation, you will likely not miss a question like that again; or you'll realize you need work in that area.

I also watch all of the PT explanations on 7Sage whether or not I get them right. Sometimes we can get the right answer just from POE which is fine, but you really want to make sure you didn't miss something and want to make sure that you know why the answer is correct by itself.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    The main thing is to take it slow. The temptation to start burning through PTs is going to be really strong, and you've really just got to resist that. You shouldn't take a PT unless you have reason to believe that you have improved since your last PT. There's a lot of work to do between PTs, and you will progress much faster by slowing down and doing the work. Think of each PT as a study cycle.

1. Take the PT. Strict test day conditions.
    2. BR. Don't half ass it. Dig deep into the understanding.
    3. Analyze. Account for every error. Why did you miss what you did?
    4. Create a Study Plan. What do you need to do to address your errors? Identify specific areas of study which will work towards eliminating the errors exposed by the PT/BR.
    5. Study!

When you feel like you've made significant improvement, repeat.

Yup. 100% this!

• Pink DustPink Dust Alum Member
    403 karma

@"Alex Divine" wow, thanks. I'm gonna start doing that for every question I miss.