Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Focus

TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member

For most of the time I have been doing the CC, I have been struggling keeping focus as I read the LR questions. When I time myself, I can't keep focus sometimes which causes me to miss key words/details resulting in missing the question. Its extremely frustrating when I have to keep re-reading sentences/the paragraph because I don't understand what I have just read.

I have tried to read random question passages and quickly write down what I have just read to improve memory and focus but I don't know if that is a waste of time or not. I'm about done with the CC and I really need to fix this problem or I'm screwed 6 ways to Sunday for this test.

Are there any drills or tips anyone has with LR focus or just focus in general?

Comments

• ppcoelho1ppcoelho1 Alum Member
    edited March 2017 156 karma

hi. do you have trouble staying focused when you are not timing? if it is worsened by timing it could be related to anxiety too. But if it is strictly a focus thing, for me a little bit of coffee or a strong tea really helps me stay focused. And also try to read a much as possible, in specific well written articles from the economist, scientific American and other publications like that. Being used to grammar and writing similar to the LSAT really helps it become easier to retain!

hope this is helpful! good luck

• rafaelitorafaelito Alum Member
    1063 karma

@akeegs92 said:
    For most of the time I have been doing the CC, I have been struggling keeping focus as I read the LR questions. When I time myself, I can't keep focus sometimes which causes me to miss key words/details resulting in missing the question. Its extremely frustrating when I have to keep re-reading sentences/the paragraph because I don't understand what I have just read.

I have tried to read random question passages and quickly write down what I have just read to improve memory and focus but I don't know if that is a waste of time or not. I'm about done with the CC and I really need to fix this problem or I'm screwed 6 ways to Sunday for this test.

Are there any drills or tips anyone has with LR focus or just focus in general?

I have the opposite problem. I can barely focus when the timer is not off. So if I'm doing untimed drills I always have a stopwatch going on in the background. You need to work with what you got. If the timer is directly influencing your focus try to keep "benchmarks" instead of focusing on the timer. Like, at 7 minutes be done with the first game, by 14 done with second game, 25 third, and 35 fourth. Those are easy to apply in RC too. I also noticed that when I actively used my pencil to follow along with every line and either circle or underline my focused improved tremendously. So definitely use that pencil!

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

I strongly suggest you meditate. Some guided meditations can be found here:
    https://7sage.com/lesson/winning-the-psychological-battle/

Meditation has been proven beneficial in so many ways, including focus. There is a substantial amount of academic literature in support of meditation's benefits.

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

Thanks y'all!

@ppcoelho1 yeah its during timimg. I'm usually at starbucks when I work on this so I'm usually loaded up on caffine haha. Under no time I'm ok because I can slow down a bit, something I can't do under timed conditions.

@RafaelBernard the pencil helps me quite a bit. Though I still lose my thought process as I go sometimes. I can see where the benchmark can help!

@AllezAllez21 yes I started to try this yesterday. It obviously will take a bit of time but I'm hopeful this will calm me down and focus. How do you utilize this while working on problems?

• Pink DustPink Dust Alum Member
    403 karma

Hey! I struggle with keeping focus too and forget what I even read often! What has recently started helping me is use your pencil to guide you as you read. I also sometimes circle key words or numbers. If after a sentence you feel lost, reread it! Don't keep moving on and then realize you read a whole paragraph that you don't even know what its talking about. its better to just realize you are lost and reread that one sentence. I've just realized all this myself so I hope this helps :)

• Colin1485Colin1485 Member
    108 karma

Use a Highlighter! Highlight the Conclusions, conditional indicators, important stuff, ect. This has improved my focus a lot on prepping & scores - it's even allowed on test day. Don't underestimate the power of the highlighter.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    edited March 2017 5320 karma

@akeegs92 sounds like you've tried a lot of the most common strategies for this. I feel your pain.

If you are regularly studying in Starbucks, I may suggest you experiment with a quieter and less busy environment like a library. I know some people recommend taking PTs in busy places like Starbucks to prepare for worst-case-scenario Test Centers, but I wouldn't recommend that sort of environment for someone who is struggling with focus.

I imagine the library will be a difficult adjustment at first, but I think in order to give it a real shot you'd need to try it for at least 2 weeks.

With regards to timing, you may put that to the side at the moment and focus on increasing your BR score. I don't know what your target score is, but let's say it's 165; if your BR were at 175+, I think that surplus of comprehension would help boost your confidence and comfort. In listening to some of the webinars, I believe Sages have said that the reason they feel so comfortable on Test Day is because they've literally seen everything the LSAT has thrown at anyone since inception. Their BRs are 180 (or very close) so they know they comprehend it, too.

Best of luck!

P.S. Oh an also, I recommend meditation as well. But, just like the library, it requires its own discipline -- 5m can seem like an eternity! If you listen to AccountsPlayable's webinar, he speaks about adopting meditation in his prep and what that entailed.

1723 karma

Thanks for the advice y'all!

@Shivani that is what I am having to do a lot of times. It does take discipline sometimes not to move to the AC's in the sake of time; that is when I usually miss a question and waste more time.

@jkatz1488 I'm definitely starting to rethink about going to the library more. Usually I have never had any problems with Starbucks, but I think that in this case you are right. I also am starting to use meditation; hopefully will start seeing results here soon as I do it more.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I agree with all above. Try a quieter setting. The LSAT isn't perfectly quiet when you take it, but it sure isn't as loud as a Starbucks. But god bless people who get used to taking them in there. Sometimes the silence can be deafening as well.

Also try to use this count-up timer: http://www.online-stopwatch.com/large-stopwatch/

Just remember to read for STRUCTURE above all. This is said for RC, but it is important for LR too. You can of get good at seeing through the same ol' bullshit mush they they in. Town Supervisor: We should do X to the city. Y city did it and the results worked. Therefore we should do X to our city....blah blah. There's literally a million questions all set up just like that. I read right past the fluff. The names, places, anything that doesn't matter on LR. These are very tiny, discrete arguments. Find the argument core (support + conclusion) and you will be able to find the correct answer much more easily. If there's odd scientific names you can't pronounce, just call it X.

Now I know you've mentioned your problem is with focus... I'm trying to think of anything no one else has mentioned. I mean I think you have to make sure you are in the zone and free of distractions. iPhone on airplane mode, no music/TV on, and no food or drinks. Take the drills like you would on the real day.

You might also try exercising before you study to help get all that pent up energy out....

1723 karma

@"Alex Divine" I definitely have started to look for structure more. It is one of the things that is a constant battle for me to do but it also probably will give me a bit more focus reading. Thanks for the tips!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@akeegs92 said:
    @"Alex Divine" I definitely have started to look for structure more. It is one of the things that is a constant battle for me to do but it also probably will give me a bit more focus reading. Thanks for the tips!

No problem. I find I had the same problem back when I didn't have a consistent plan of attack for each type of question. For example. if I know it it is a Strengthen question I am going to look for the support and the conclusion. Then once I zero on those things I can figure out what in the answer choices will weaken that support.

In short, I don't read every type of LR question the same. I go in knowing exactly what to look for... it helps with focus for sure!

1723 karma

@"Alex Divine" I actually never thought about the individual attack for each LR in a strict context like that; mainly was just trying to ID the premises and support. That actually helps a bit too.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@akeegs92 said:
    @"Alex Divine" I actually never thought about the individual attack for each LR in a strict context like that; mainly was just trying to ID the premises and support. That actually helps a bit too.

That's a great start and should usually always be what you want to do. Though, do have in your mind what to be thinking about/looking for and what is a bunch of useless fluff. Each individual Q type gives us a specific talk and if we implement it, and don't let timed pressure get us, you should improve your focus. :)