Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Patent Bar

Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
in General 893 karma

Just wondering if anyone is taking the patent bar this year? I am planning on taking this year and was hoping for a study buddy. Thanks.

Comments

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

Any requirement needed?

• Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    893 karma

Not sure what you mean??

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@dennisgerrard said:
    Any requirement needed?

Pretty sure you are required to have a degree in science or engineering before sitting for the Patent Bar, if that's what you mean?

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma
  • Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@dennisgerrard said:
    Any requirement needed?

Pretty sure you are required to have a degree in science or engineering before sitting for the Patent Bar, if that's what you mean?

https://www.uspto.gov/sites/default/files/OED_GRB.pdf

yeah, look at pages 4/5/6. There's different classifications - engineering/science is auto accept as a category A. Otherwise, it's a huge pain in the ass.

@"Chipster Study" I plan on studying for it after I get my LSAT out of the way. I should have a few months before 1L, so I was going to use that time to knock it out. Have you sat for the exam already? I'd be curious to hear your opinions.

893 karma

I have not sat for the patent bar yet. Just getting going on it. Everything I am reading says to take a prep course and get a study buddy. I am a couple of years away from 1L so I thought I would get it out of the way now. What is your engineering degree in?

1997 karma

@"Chipster Study" said:
    I have not sat for the patent bar yet. Just getting going on it. Everything I am reading says to take a prep course and get a study buddy. I am a couple of years away from 1L so I thought I would get it out of the way now. What is your engineering degree in?

I'm an electrical engineer. So Category A on eligibility.

I have heard that you'll want a study course as well. PLI is typically the flagship study course, and they seem to have a 85-90% passing rate. If you are fresh into the patent realm they typically recommend PLI, but if you have experience with that realm of work and knowledge you can probably pass without paying for a course and using free material. The downside of the course is that it is incredibly costly (~2k+). If you were to wait until a summer during law school, a lot of firms will reimburse you for the cost of the course that you took in relation to the bar (and patent bar). The drawback of waiting however, is that having already passed the patent bar is a huge leg up on your resume and for the hiring process (and law school application process).

893 karma

I was looking at PatBar, which is about $600 but could not tell what their pass rate was. I am going to get it out of the way before I apply. I think it can be a tricky course so $2000 is not too much as it is an investment that would be worth it to nail that sucker on the the first attempt. I am also category A and have kept my PE current even though I have not been in engineering for awhile.

Let me noodle it over this next week as I have to go to a conference, but then I will most likely be pulling the trigger on it and starting to study when I get back.

I have also heard through the grapevine, that having the patent bar is one thing you can do that might make a difference in law school applications, because they are under pressure to admit more patent bar eligible students.

Where are you located and what are thinking about doing it with a study buddy?

1997 karma

@"Chipster Study" said:
    I was looking at PatBar, which is about $600 but could not tell what their pass rate was. I am going to get it out of the way before I apply. I think it can be a tricky course so $2000 is not too much as it is an investment that would be worth it to nail that sucker on the the first attempt. I am also category A and have kept my PE current even though I have not been in engineering for awhile.

Let me noodle it over this next week as I have to go to a conference, but then I will most likely be pulling the trigger on it and starting to study when I get back.

I have also heard through the grapevine, that having the patent bar is one thing you can do that might make a difference in law school applications, because they are under pressure to admit more patent bar eligible students.

Where are you located and what are thinking about doing it with a study buddy?

I'm cat A as well.

I'm in the midwest, we can discuss details in PM if you want, but it would likely have to be remote studying (if we go through with it). I also can't put any time aside until after I get this stupid LSAT finished with, so that might not line up with your timeframe either. I'm scheduled for September, and while I think I'd have more pleasure with studying for the patent bar, it would be wise for me to finish the lsat while I'm in the zone for it :smile: