Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need some help/advice

Maximus4Maximus4 Alum Member
edited May 2017 in General 206 karma

Hey everyone so I am going through the CC and need some help.

1: How much time am I suppose to spend on the question sets at the end of each section?

2: Also I realize that on the more difficult problem sets I am getting more questions wrong; problem is that while I am doing them I feel very confident that they are correct because most of the time I am narrowing the answer choices down to two answers and end up selecting the wrong one due to my inability to eliminate the last remaining incorrect answer choice. Any advice on what I should do or any advice on eliminating the wrong answer when stuck between two?

3: And when reviewing the questions which I got wrong but did not circle for BR I am having a difficult time breaking my thought process that led me to the wrong answer choice.

Thanks for the help, and good luck everyone :)

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited May 2017 23929 karma

Hey @Maximus4 ,

1) When starting out spend as much time as you need on the easy problem sets until you understand what you are doing. However, use an online stopwatch (or one on your phone) to count up and keep track of time. http://www.online-stopwatch.com/large-stopwatch/
    Try to go as fast as you can while still maintaining the necessary level of accuracy. On those few impossible question that you could spend forever on and still not get right, practice making efficient decisions, so that on test day the curve breaker questions don't become time sinks.

2) The most common reason for getting stuck between two attractive answer choices is because we've made some mistakes on the way to getting to those two answers -- that is, we are attracted to two answers because we didn't understand the argument or flaw as clearly as you could have or should have, or because you didn't focus on something you should have in the elimination process, or because you lost sight of the task.

Solution: Check the answer choices against one another to notice how the answer(s) "fit" in between stimulus and the conclusion, or whatever task the question type is asking of you. Second, and just as important, practice focusing in on the argument core (premises/conclusion relationship), seeing flaws, eliminating wrong answers, and the less you’ll find yourself stuck between two answers.

3) In what way are you having trouble breaking your thought process? Start by examining what convinced you to eliminate the correct answer. Then reflect on why you were attracted to the wrong answer.

Hope some of this helps!

Good luck :)