Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

conditional translation: any student will be served well in later life by any philosophy class.

Jun_hwangJun_hwang Alum Member

for statements like this, when there are two sufficiency indicators,

can they have two possible translations?

If student, then he or she will be served well in later life by any philo class. ( S --> SWBPC)

if philo class, then will serve any students well later in life. ( PC --> SWLL )

the statement is from PT39, Section 2 Question 2.

it's a flaw question and the statement itself is not imperative to solve the question, but it did make me hesitate during timed PT when I tried to translate them into lawgic.

Comments

• BirdLaw818BirdLaw818 Free Trial Member
    553 karma

I might not 100% sure, but we know a few things....if you take a philosophy class AND you're a student, then you're better served in life. So P AND S -----> Served better. My only issue is whether or not taking a philosophy class automatically makes you a student or whether we should even include S.
    If not, then we can say P------>served better

• batniki1batniki1 Alum Member
    edited June 2017 226 karma

@Jun_hwang
    "Any course that teaches students how to write is one that will serve them well in later life. Therefore, since some philosophy courses teach students how to write, any student, whatever his or her major, will be served well in later life by taking any philosophy course."

teaches how to write-------->will serve them well

philosophy course-----s----->teaches how to write

Conclusion: philosophy course--------->will serve them well

I think your problem here is that you missed the subtle conclusion and premise in that last sentence :) Hope this helps