Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Average vs. Highest Score for Canada and US

batniki1batniki1 Alum Member
in General 226 karma

I apologize if this question has been asked before but I was unable to find any previous discussions. Would anyone be able to point me to a source where I can find information about which schools average your LSAT scores and which ones only take your highest score? And that goes for both American and Canadian law schools. I would very much appreciate any information because I am currently on the precipice of a mental breakdown about whether I should postpone the test to September and cancel my registration next week! Thank you :)

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited June 2017 11542 karma

It's often said that only Yale is known to average their LSAT score, but according to their website, "We do not use a formula or index to weigh various factors (like LSAT scores). We consider all of the information about an applicant, including multiple LSAT scores. We do not average scores, nor do we look at only your high score." So while the highest score may hold priority, it does not prevent them from looking at previous/lower scores on your application. Other than this, I don't believe schools average LSATs anymore let alone even consider lower scores especially outside the t-14.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27860 karma

They'll have access to all your scores, so it's not like they won't be aware of your average. At the end of the day though, they only have to report your top score to USN&WR which sets the rankings. Rankings are hugely important, and everyone understands that their jobs are secured by a good performance in the rankings, and at risk by a negative performance. A handful of schools do claim to look at averages, but except maybe Yale, all evidence suggests that high scores win in the end.

That said, the times they are a'changin'

With new LSAC policies allowing for unlimited takes and additional administrations, schools are going to start getting applicants with maybe upwards of a dozen takes. Who knows. If they see an average of 150 and one random blip with a 170, I can't help but think that will be a red flag. We don't know exactly what the effect will be, but new policies will affect admissions. I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of them. So I think the traditional advice of "don't take until you're ready" will continue to be important, even with unlimited takes. If USN&WR makes a change in how the rankings are determined, then that will fundamentally change everything.

For now though, high score is still all that really matters.

• thisisspartathisissparta Alum Member
    1363 karma

In Canada, University of Alberta is the only school averaging one's LSAT scores. Every other schools utilizes the highest score in computing the index scores.

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

High score is the only thing that matters. Schools do not average scores.

• batniki1batniki1 Alum Member
    226 karma

@Sprinkles and @"Cant Get Right" I like your comments and that was my thinking, I am glad someone reaffirmed it. @thisissparta would you be able to provide me with some source where I can read this in more detail? I have heard from others that UofT averages and that's one of my top choices so it would be very helpful to get some more information on that! Thank you very much though, I appreciate your comment! UofA is somewhere around a second tier university in Canada and would eventually be, maybe, a last resort for me.

• thisisspartathisissparta Alum Member
    edited June 2017 1363 karma

@therealnas said:
    @Sprinkles and @"Cant Get Right" I like your comments and that was my thinking, I am glad someone reaffirmed it. @thisissparta would you be able to provide me with some source where I can read this in more detail? I have heard from others that UofT averages and that's one of my top choices so it would be very helpful to get some more information on that! Thank you very much though, I appreciate your comment! UofA is somewhere around a second tier university in Canada and would eventually be, maybe, a last resort for me.

Visiting the school website through a quick google search is usually a good idea to get a sense of such procedural info.

From U of A's website: "The LSAT score used is an average of all valid LSAT scores."

https://www.ualberta.ca/law/admissions/juris-doctor/admissions-process

As for U of T, the school does not average your LSAT scores. They do however have a policy of dropping your worst year (from a 4 year university degree) in calculating your GPA.

From their website: "Generally, we place emphasis on the highest LSAT score reported."
    Here are the links:
    https://www.law.utoronto.ca/admissions/jd-admissions/admissions-policies

https://www.law.utoronto.ca/admissions/jd-admissions/admissions-frequently-asked-questions

Hope this helps :smile: Feel free to PM me if you need any more info on any other Canadian law school