Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice on RC accuracy and time

liza.bennettliza.bennett Alum Member
edited June 2017 in Reading Comprehension 108 karma

So I am in reading comp right now, it is literally the last thing I am doing in my prep before going back to PTs. But I am still having the same problems that I was having last year when I was studying. For example, if there is 7 questions in a section I am constantly missing 3-4. I have tried the method JY recommended. It has not helped make anything better. I am getting really frustrated because I have had great growth in all other sections of the exam but I am still sucking the big one in RC. I dont test until September so I have time to figure this out.
I have tried going slow and seeing what happens, I have tried to keep the timed 3.5 minutes, I have tried not marking and marking the passage. I feel like I have exhausted all areas. If I were only missing one or two questions a passage I would make peace with it. But I am leaving to many points on the table to make peace with it right now.

Any advice or help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Comments

• batniki1batniki1 Alum Member
    226 karma

Have you been skipping questions? Or do you do them consecutively

• liza.bennettliza.bennett Alum Member
    108 karma

I have been skipping questions lately. But I haven't been doing entire sections yet. Just each passage that the RC syllabus tells me to do. So if I skip I am coming back to that question before my 8.5 minutes are up.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

For me, the most important thing was to learn to differentiate between subtleties in the ACs, a task that did not come easily for me. They're really sneaky with this in RC. When you do your BR, make sure you're writing out detailed explanations for why each AC is either right or wrong. If you can start to see these subtle distinctions, you'll be able to save yourself a lot of errors, and you'll be able to do it in good time. Learning to do this will also sharpen your reading because you'll have to figure out how very slightly different ACs apply/or don't apply. Ask yourself what the passage would have needed to say in order for an AC to have been right.

Until you feel more comfortable with the basic fundamentals, I'd do these drills untimed. You're still learning the basics; you can add in time management once you have a solid foundation.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    For me, the most important thing was to learn to differentiate between subtleties in the ACs, a task that did not come easily for me. They're really sneaky with this in RC. When you do your BR, make sure you're writing out detailed explanations for why each AC is either right or wrong. If you can start to see these subtle distinctions, you'll be able to save yourself a lot of errors, and you'll be able to do it in good time. Learning to do this will also sharpen your reading because you'll have to figure out how very slightly different ACs apply/or don't apply. Ask yourself what the passage would have needed to say in order for an AC to have been right.

Until you feel more comfortable with the basic fundamentals, I'd do these drills untimed. You're still learning the basics; you can add in time management once you have a solid foundation.

Big help for me. And although I'm far from an RC master, this technique is something I attribute to getting my score down to a -4 from like a -8 or -9