Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where does the LSAC get it's RC material?

Hi team!

as the title says, does anyone have an idea where LSAC adopts its RC material? any journal, book, magazine you'd recommend?
I would like to start reading material that is similar to what's on the RC in my spare time.

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited June 2017 13286 karma

At the end of the prep test look for the Acknowledgment page, they list the publications there.

Edit: Also it seems quite common for people to suggest The Economist as a publication to read.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

I believe all of the content is written specifically for the LSAT. I remember reading that in the LSAT Trainer.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@jkatz1488 said:
    I believe all of the content is written specifically for the LSAT. I remember reading that in the LSAT Trainer.

They "trim" things down from original works. They also sometimes add in their own flair. Most of the time it is based on some real original work however. Look at the end of the prep tests for an "acknowledgment" page and it'll tell you where they got the stuff.

• Zachary_PZachary_P Member
    659 karma

Yes, it's a little bit both. Some come from lesser known academic journals and some are written specifically for the test. The original works are formatted and edited for clarity so that RC questions with absolute right/wrong answers can be constructed.

• MooseonthelooseMooseontheloose Alum Member
    92 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    At the end of the prep test look for the Acknowledgment page, they list the publications there.

Edit: Also it seems quite common for people to suggest The Economist as a publication to read.

thanks everyone!

see the issue is, I don't mind reading The Economist, actually i quite enjoy reading it. It's the art history/science material that I need to get used to reading and get accustomed to the terminology.

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

The articles look like all the articles I used to read on EBSCOhost when I was researching to write a paper.

• extramediumextramedium Alum Member
    edited June 2017 419 karma

Wrong.

They cite the sources at the end of each test. I caught a David Carr article from the NY Times in there once, which was a bit surprising. Other than that I think most of these come from academic journals from law, economics, and social sciences (the hardest sciences lol, see the passage on cultural imperialism for a good laugh).

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Much of the material is taken from published works (hence the attributions at the end of every preptest), but it is abridged and edited specially for the LSAT. I think that's what @jkatz1488 meant.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@uhinberg said:
    Much of the material is taken from published works (hence the attributions at the end of every preptest), but it is abridged and edited specially for the LSAT. I think that's what @jkatz1488 meant.

Yeah, at least that's how I read it, anyway, but that is true about the articles being abridged/edited.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

:smile: