Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question re LOR

MaritzaaMaritzaa Alum Member

Hi all!

Quick question: What should your recommender be adding on the RE line of your letter? Is it Name of applicant, LSAC number and type of letter (i.e. for all schools; X school)?

Does anyone know the proper format?

Thanks!

Comments

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    edited June 2017 1997 karma

I've only ever seen it done with Re: Mitzyyyy, so I'm assuming just name is fine. Although it probably won't hurt anything either for them to include the LSAC #.

The LSAC # will be tied to the submission form the recommender will attach the letter to, so it doesn't necessarily have to be included.

As far as whether the recommender should write "for all schools, or for X", I wouldn't include that line. I doubt they would care, but it might take a little bit of weight off the letter if someone was reading the letter at a school and then they read "Here's a LoR for Mitzyyy for all schools". It just seems unnecessary. You will have the opportunity to title the letters on your account page on LSAC though.

Ex format :

June 22, 2017

Re: Mitzyyyy

Dear Law School Admissions Committee:

Mitzyyyy is an awesome student. Admit her into your school or else.

Warm regards,
    Random unheard of Professor

• MaritzaaMaritzaa Alum Member
    368 karma

Thanks! @Mellow_Z Do you think it's best that they send by certified mail?

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

@Mitzyyyy said:
    Thanks! @Mellow_Z Do you think it's best that they send by certified mail?

I think the easiest and most convenient way for your writers is just to do the online submission. When you enter their info under the request section in your LSAC account, they will get instructions that outline how to digitally upload it directly to LSAC. This requires them to register an account with LSAC (which isn't a huge deal imo), but when I gave my teachers the option of submitting via snail mail or online, they all choose the latter every time.

Obviously it might be different if you're having a super old school professor write it who doesn't do well with technology, but I trust your judgement in this type of decision :wink: