Good morning/afternoon/evening Sagers! Quick question regarding slowing down when I read....

LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
in Logical Reasoning 13286 karma

Good morning 7sagers! (or afternoon, or whatever!)

I have a quick question for everyone. As of right now I go roughly -4 to -5 on any given LR section. I took a full timed PT this weekend, and am now reviewing it.

THREE of the LR questions I missed because I am a special kind of special.

1.) I read the stem and saw principal and my head assumed I needed to find something consistent with it. The actual stimulus said Inconsistent.

2.) The last question in the section I got really excited for because I read the stem to fast and saw "Main conclusion!" yeah that would have been awesome, except the rest of the stem said "The main conclusion can be properly inferred" .....so yeah this was a SA not a MC.

3.) In the answer choice it said "never happens". I for whatever reason, didn't see "never".

HELP these little mistakes are brutal to my score. Simple issues that when I see are simple Homer Simpson "Doh!" types of mistakes.
Any advice on how to focus more intently on the AC/Stimulus/Stem

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

I have a quick question for everyone. As of right now I go roughly -4 to -5 on any given LR section. I took a full timed PT this weekend, and am now reviewing it.

1.) I read the stem and saw principal and my head assumed I needed to find something consistent with it. The actual stimulus said Inconsistent.

2.) The last question in the section I got really excited for because I read the stem to fast and saw "Main conclusion!" yeah that would have been awesome, except the rest of the stem said "The main conclusion can be properly inferred" .....so yeah this was a SA not a MC.

3.) In the answer choice it said "never happens". I for whatever reason, didn't see "never".

HELP these little mistakes are brutal to my score. Simple issues that when I see are simple Homer Simpson "Doh!" types of mistakes.

I tend to always underline the premise/conclusion and circle any keywords in the stim. For example. Sometimes I even write an abbreviation of what type of question it is next to the stim. Maybe just a quick NA/SA or something. This has helped me avoid glossing over important key words and making those types of mistakes.

Sometimes you just have to take a breath and slow down! ;)

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

I tend to always underline the premise/conclusion and circle any keywords in the stim. For example. Sometimes I even write an abbreviation of what type of question it is next to the stim. Maybe just a quick NA/SA or something. This has helped me avoid glossing over important key words and making those types of mistakes.

I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. My missed questions almost always are ones that when I review after the PT are so obvious to me. I just want to be able to calm down during the test and focus in on these questions!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@LSATcantwin said:

I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. My missed questions almost always are ones that when I review after the PT are so obvious to me. I just want to be able to calm down during the test and focus in on these questions!

I'd say it's a good problem to have in the scheme of things. I'd rather be cursed with this problem then not being able to understand the questions or my task when approaching them.

Again, from now on maybe try underlining or circling key words as well as the conclusion. I do it so automatically at this point that I forgot how much it has actually helped me. Even if I don't look back at what I circled, it at the vest least ensures I've read what I supposed to and digested it enough to discern what the task, conclusion, and support are saying.