Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you skip around with full length prep tests?

vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
edited July 2017 in General 1084 karma

Hey was just curious how others approach the prep tests. Do you diligently do the prep tests in order, or do you tend to jump around from 50s to 70s to 20s etc?
Just curious if there is a better strategy. I've been going pretty diligently in order from prep test 37, and I'm now in the 50s but also kind of want to just tackle test 80 for a thrill and to see how different it is. Is this a bad idea? Should I leave the later exams for closer to test day?

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

There's different ideas about this, so there's not necessarily a definitive answer. I think "just to see" is a really bad reason to burn your most valuable PT no matter what your philosophy on PT ordering though.

The two most common approaches are to test in strict sequence, which I think has obvious benefits. Theoretically, you should improve with each test and so you want to take the most valuable tests with the most experience. It also creates a smooth transition between different eras of the test. Jumping from PT 40 to PT 80 will be quite jarring. By working your way up, you never experience a significant shift.

The other idea is to jump around, but with purpose. I think I took something like ever 4 tests--so 35, 39, 43, 47, 51 and so on until I got to the end, and then I came back and started at 36 and went up from there. This isn't quite as smooth as strict sequencing but I think it offers several advantages. First, it gives us multiple passes through. We can go through the cycle start to finish four times before exhausting our fresh PTs. Second, it allows us to see some of the tests from the contemporary series ahead of time. A lot of people struggle when they start getting into the gen most recent tests. I think much of that is psychological, but whatever the reason, it happens. And going in pure sequence means it's going to happen close to test day. I liked having more time to respond to the things that specifically went wrong in the recent 10.

In hindsight, I think a combination of the two would maybe be best. At first, most of us aren't going to know what we're doing really. We're going to have way more work to do after each PT because they're going to expose more errors than we can hope to correct or even identify. For this early PT phase, stick to the oldest tests in sequence. Once your BR score is above your target score, then maybe think about cycling through a round of the second method. Ideally, preserve the bulk of the most recent 10 for once your timed score is averaging out above your target score.

• vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
    1084 karma

@"Cant Get Right"
    This is really great feedback, thanks so much for taking the time to respond. Will definitely mull over this as I move forward

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I plan to go in order, but that's just me. I think JY recommended this is to me a while back if I remember correctly. This way you work up and get adjusted to the nuances of the newer tests.

edited July 2017 1084 karma

@"Alex Divine" @"Cant Get Right"
    Also just curious if you plan to do every single prep test before your write your exam?
    I ask because I write in September and so far I've done 17 prep tests. I also do a lot of reviewing CC and drilling LG, because LG is my weaker point. I feel like if I try to do every prep test I will just be cramming them and not doing enough review and I really question if doing every exam is neccessary. Also, at the chance I may have to write again, I thought it may be good to have some fresh preptests that I didn't use.

You guys have any thoughts on this?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"vanessa fisher" said:
    @"Alex Divine" @"Cant Get Right"
    Also just curious if you plan to do every single prep test before your write your exam?
    I ask because I write in September and so far I've done 17 prep tests. I also do a lot of reviewing CC and drilling LG, because LG is my weaker point. I feel like if I try to do every prep test I will just be cramming them and not doing enough review and I really question if doing every exam is neccessary. Also, at the chance I may have to write again, I thought it may be good to have some fresh preptests that I didn't use.

You guys have any thoughts on this?

I certainly plan to save some fresh takes should I need a retake. Don't try to cram in prep tests, most people who score high (170+) recommend doing 1-2 a week, and 1 Pt a week is great when you're still scoring and blind reviewing below your target range.

My philosophy has been to just do as many PTs followed with BR and drilling until I'm at the score I want. So It's hard to say If I'll end up taking all the tests, but I do plan on taking mostly every test from PT 52-81 before I sit for the exam.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

I don't think there is any particular advantage to taking every test. It definitely hurts you if you need a retake. It's far better to take fewer tests in depth than all of them without much studying or reflection in between. Focus on maxing out how much you learn from each take and you will maximize your level of preparedness. I've tested three times and still have a number of fresh PTs.

Given your timeline between now and September, you definitely would have to sacrifice quality for quantity. If you get in another test per week between now and then, I think that would be solid.

1084 karma

cool thanks