Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The general consensus seems to be against in person prep courses, but I'd like recommendations

_oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
edited July 2017 in General 3652 karma

Any prep courses that you guys would recommend? I live in Orange County CA if that matters.

June 2017 test I got -5 on each of the (2) LR and (2) RC sections, -12 on the 1 LG section. So shitty that I bombed such an easy LG, I was just checked out and exhausted by the time I got to that section and the simple games oddly threw me off since I only repeatedly practiced the really difficult ones.

I obviously just haven't studied well enough but waiting outside in line for like 2 hours outside in the heat and then waiting more inside for everyone to get seated and the test not being over until late evening really messed with my head.

I'm thinking maybe an in person prep course and taking prep tests in a classroom setting will be more similar to actual LSAT conditions and will help with my stamina. And maybe will help improve my logic games since it's just not clicking for me after self studying with 7sage.

Comments

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    3072 karma

If you want to spend your money on something in-person, spend it on a good tutor. The class is good if you need something introductory, but fairly limited beyond that.

• hon132hon132 Free Trial Member
    122 karma

Took a class when I started, it's frankly a waste of time. The main issue is that you're basically starting from the beginning but not your beginning. They'll go slowly through a set curriculum built for newer test takers and to be realistic, you're either regurgitating what you learned from your 7sage or learning something that might conflict with what you already know. Either way, most of your money will likely be spent waiting for others to catch up to you. If you need the extra help; take the one on one tutor, tell them where you are and they adjust their plans accordingly or at the least, skip over what you already know.

• sophie74sophie74 Free Trial Member
    373 karma

A recommend a tutor in the Boston area highly, who does online skype tutoring and classes for those out of town. Message me if you want his information!

• Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    edited July 2017 6866 karma

Yeah you don't want a prep course, you want the proctored tests. Various test prep companies (I know Manhattan does this) offer free proctored tests, usually as a promotion for their course, but you can usually ask to bring your own test. Or, find yourself a quiet classroom (or a semi-quiet library) and proctor yourself with some kind of app that simulates background noise.

Having another pair of eyes evaluate you while you break apart questions and such is super helpful and can give you a lot of direction. You don't necessarily need to set up standing weekly sessions with a tutor or anything, but having a session with a tutor to triangulate your issues and help you backfill theory is a lot more valuable than sitting in a class geared toward people starting from 0 for 6 hours a week.

But if you're truly insistent on a course, Manhattan and Blueprint tend to send me the best-prepared students in my experience, so I'm partial to them (I've obviously never taken either personally, seeing as neither was in existence when I took the LSAT myself).