Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Something isn't clicking

TheAnxious0LTheAnxious0L Alum Member
in General 587 karma

Hey guys, I feel like I've hit a wall...

I just don't feel like I get the LSAT. I understand that it's a learnable exam, but I think there is something wrong with how I'm approaching it. The problem is I don't know what that is - and it's mostly with LR. I scored a 154 on my first diagnostic, and I was aiming to write in Sept, and I'm not sure if I should anymore. I do really want a 170+ (I know it's possible, and that I am capable, I just need to better understand the logical structure of this exam).

Best tips for understanding/applying theory? I'm going to spend this week drilling LR sections and BR each action. Any other tips, or what helped you get to your aha moment? I feel the gears moving, and like I'm starting to get it.....but I'm not there yet.

Comments

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

@"Idil.Beshir" The most important aspect of moving forward is your understanding of the fundamentals. To this note i would say spend as much time as you need in untimeddrills. These help you really apply the methodologies that are essential for success on this exam. Once you get the cogs moving timing will be less and less of an issue. If you find that after an appropriate amount of time that you still dont understand something, dont be scared to go back to the CC or ask on the forum. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Good luck and dont get discouraged!!!!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I think this sounds like you may have rushed/forgotten through some of the fundamentals. It is really important to have mastered the basics of conditional logic and logical indicators with learning the basics of the test, especially LR. Also, make sure you are good at finding the argument core (premises + conclusion) quickly and accurately.

I wouldn't be against reviewing the lessons again or checking out Manhattan LR, Powerscore LR, or The LSAT Trainer if 7Sage's approach isn't working for you. I don't think just drilling is going to fix the problem you're describing, but I think your time would be better spent reviewing the fundamentals and drilling lightly to see if you're making improvements.

If you're aiming for a 170 that is an exceptional score, so it may be wise to focus on just getting there and not a date that you can change anyway. A 154 diagnostic is not a bad place to start at all, so I know you have what it takes to hit that 170!

• TheAnxious0LTheAnxious0L Alum Member
    587 karma

@nathanieljschwartz said:
    @"Idil.Beshir" The most important aspect of moving forward is your understanding of the fundamentals. To this note i would say spend as much time as you need in untimeddrills. These help you really apply the methodologies that are essential for success on this exam. Once you get the cogs moving timing will be less and less of an issue. If you find that after an appropriate amount of time that you still dont understand something, dont be scared to go back to the CC or ask on the forum. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Good luck and dont get discouraged!!!!

Thank you so much. I think it's also just feeling so overwhelmed, because I realize how many little details there are to this exam. I'll definitely be messaging you, thanks again.

• TheAnxious0LTheAnxious0L Alum Member
    587 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    I think this sounds like you may have rushed/forgotten through some of the fundamentals. It is really important to have mastered the basics of conditional logic and logical indicators with learning the basics of the test, especially LR. Also, make sure you are good at finding the argument core (premises + conclusion) quickly and accurately.

I wouldn't be against reviewing the lessons again or checking out Manhattan LR, Powerscore LR, or The LSAT Trainer if 7Sage's approach isn't working for you. I don't think just drilling is going to fix the problem you're describing, but I think your time would be better spent reviewing the fundamentals and drilling lightly to see if you're making improvements.

If you're aiming for a 170 that is an exceptional score, so it may be wise to focus on just getting there and not a date that you can change anyway. A 154 diagnostic is not a bad place to start at all, so I know you have what it takes to hit that 170!

BLAH, I just want to cry haha. This exam is such a rollercoaster for me. Thank you, I'll definitely be going back to the fundamentals of each question type, and the foundations of logic.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Idil.Beshir" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

BLAH, I just want to cry haha. This exam is such a rollercoaster for me. Thank you, I'll definitely be going back to the fundamentals of each question type, and the foundations of logic.

I know, I usually stay cool in the pocket, but sometimes this test gets to me too. If you're having an off day and feeling like crying, take a day or two off. It will do wonders. I also really think reviewing those fundamentals will be a big help.

Here are a few of the fundamental lessons you will want to check out:

https://7sage.com/lesson/logical-reasoning-general-approach/

https://7sage.com/lesson/logic/

https://7sage.com/lesson/validity/

Hope this helps!

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

@"Idil.Beshir" you, maybe unwittingly, have placed yourself in The Best and Most Supportive community for success on The LSAT. I attempted taking this test on my own during my first cycle and the growth i have seen since i joined 7sage has been exponential.

Take your time and view this test as a puzzle: you cannot hope to solve it without knowing how each piece fits together individually. For myself when i mastered how to analyze an argument for flaws my whole understanding of the test went into hyperdrive. You may just have certain fundamentals that are lagging and when you nail them down the whole test will just click. Untimed drills and looking out for error patterns will guide you to clarity, im sure of it!!!!

• dml277dml277 Alum Member
    775 karma

Many, including myself, have felt this way. It's like we're constantly banging our heads against the wall but the wall is still as sturdy as ever. I know that feeling. I think everything said above is great - I just want to add that a place to start with if you want to go back to your fundamentals is to check your analytics to see which areas are your weakest. Start with the big red circles :) I know this might sound blatantly obvious but sometimes your analytics might tell you something you didn't notice.

From personal experience, things like MSS can seem very easy, and when you miss MSS, you might think that it's just a careless mistake and you move on, but sometimes we might give ourselves too much credit. It's not quite right if we're making careless mistakes more often than we should be, and I didn't quite catch that myself until I actually looked at my analytics closely later. Just an example to explain that we should watch out for the little things we do.