Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PTing

nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
in General 1723 karma

So i am of the opinion that taking pt after pt is a waste of time and resources. I also dont believe in setting dates for my next pt, rather take it when i think i will see improvement. with that said, i took my first PT last week, after foolproofing, and RC was my biggest issue along with NA SA and some flaw types. I spent this past week going through the CC and the trainer on all these issues and drilling abit. I think i dealt w the issues in NA SA and probably the things i was missing with flaws. I also spent some time creating a notation strategy and went through a bunch of untimed RC drills. My question is should i take another PT now? I dont think it is possible to completely master RC in a week let alone months. But i feel like i have to get more exposure to see if i have any other weaknesses that i have to focus on. Thoughts?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@nathanieljschwartz said:
    So i am of the opinion that taking pt after pt is a waste of time and resources. I also dont believe in setting dates for my next pt, rather take it when i think i will see improvement. with that said, i took my first PT last week, after foolproofing, and RC was my biggest issue along with NA SA and some flaw types. I spent this past week going through the CC and the trainer on all these issues and drilling abit. I think i dealt w the issues in NA SA and probably the things i was missing with flaws. I also spent some time creating a notation strategy and went through a bunch of untimed RC drills. My question is should i take another PT now? I dont think it is possible to completely master RC in a week let alone months. But i feel like i have to get more exposure to see if i have any other weaknesses that i have to focus on. Thoughts?

I think you have become extremely enlightened with respect to your approach to PT'ing.

You say you think you've dealt with some of the issues, but be try to be more sure before you test again. Perhaps by taking some timed sections and blind reviewing them. If after that, you feel like you've solved your issue with NA/SA and flaw, then taking another test is probably fine.

Good job and it sounds like you are on the right path to success here!

• Gladiator_2017Gladiator_2017 Yearly Member
    1332 karma

For reading comprehension, I would suggest breaking up a section and try implementing your new notation system on timed individual passages (with the timer going up). Then BR with focusing on: analyzing if your notation system is working for you or not, if you missed any inferences or key referential phrasing, and review your approach on individual question types. See if you need to make any adjustments and then try another individual passage.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Shoot -- I didn't even see that bit about your issues with RC.

Have you tried the memory method yet? If not, The LSAT Trainer and MLSAT RC have worked very well for me. I took techniques from all of those and did what worked for me.

Don't worry so much about the details for RC. What you're mainly reading for is the structure of the passage itself and the viewpoints being presented by the author and the opposing sides. You want to focus on how each paragraph is building up to the argument or viewpoint the author is making. Most of the time the author will takes sides, but not in every case.

You also want to be actively reading and staying invested in the passage. You want to be focusing on how each paragraph is connected and the structure of the passage. Through doing this you will be essentially creating a passage map so you can easily find the details when you need them. Focus on the big picture idea of what is going on!