Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crisis of confidence

fmihalic2fmihalic2 Free Trial Member
in General 266 karma

Hey friends,

So I've been suffering from a crisis of confidence for about the last week because of my RC score. It's atrocious, disgusting, and infuriating. I've tried so many methods and I just haven't been able to get the hang of it. It's gotten to the point where it's negatively impacting my other sections because I can't help but think about it. My LR scores on PTs have gone from -1/-2 to -4/-5 per section and I have been much less in control with games. I was a rock solid -1/-2 per section and was quickly and efficiently handling the more non-traditional games. Now, I've been getting bullied around by those weird games, like the stone game from PT 60. I'm not really sure what's going on. My RC performance basically has me like that sad emoji, not the one with the tears but the one that looks both disappointed and sad. It's like my RC score is so awful that during the other sections I'm subconsciously saying "Ah, what's the use? I'm just going to go -11 in RC anyway..." This is easily the hardest part of my LSAT journey thus far and I know that the path to LSAT greatness lies in improving the RC score...but my problems go beyond a notation webinar or tracking things within the passage. I believe that my problems lie in being able to interpret what's true based on the passage even though it is not explicitly written. I have always been awful at this. I remember pretty much all of what was said, the arguments, viewpoints, but can't make RC inferences to save my life given the extreme time constraints under which we find ourselves. So many times I've read each passage with such diligence and check my answers with confidence that this was the 'aha' moment...only to go -9..-10. Obviously, the RC struggles have zapped a good deal of my confidence in the other sections and we all know that confidence is essential for LSAT success. For example, games that were taking me 6/7 minutes are now taking 9/10 because with every answer I'm like...uhhh hold on am I right?

Has anyone else ever gone through this? Even with the monstrosity that is my RC score, I'm still scoring 165+.

Please help!

-Frank

Comments

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

I sympathize with your plight, but it seems to me that there might be a "patience" issue here. You have posted several times in the past few weeks about your RC struggles, and from the continued frustration, it appears to me that you'd like to see major results in just a few weeks. I mean, there are people who spend months on end getting better at individual sections. The LSAT is a beast of a test, and there are no real shortcuts. For many, it's a long slog, with ups and downs, peaks and valleys, elation and frustration, and multiple takes. At the end of the day, your score is really good as is, and if you are willing to put in a tremendous amount of time into RC, I'm sure you would considerably improve, and bring your score even higher, to the highest echelon of test takers.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Great advice from @uhinberg

I'll add that it may be to your benefit to take a break. It's hard to pull ourselves away, but when we reach stages of regression such as you are in, that is a good sign that a break is needed.

Consider intensely critical and active RC BR when you return (untimed). At this point, you just don't seem to have the reading skills necessary to achieve the section score you would like. It's unlikely that you will develop them under timed conditions, either. I think previously completed sections are fine for this drilling, too.

Another tip I heard recently is that when you create you paragraph/passage summaries, try to use the same structural language that the LSAT uses. Instead of "This passage is about comparing and contrasting two ideas that are at odds. The author doesn't take a position but does suggest a path which may lead to reconciliation" we should say "Two competing ideas are presented. The main disagreement between these points is illustrated. The author provides a possible solution to reconciliation". The difference is slight, but speaking in their terms is very helpful for mainpoint and passage structure questions.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8694 karma

I understand how frustrating it can be. My recommendation would be to focus initially on making that -11/-12 into a -10. I think RC is something that a "inch by inch" approach benefits us. Next week it would be my recommendation to focus on keeping that -10 a -10. The week after that would be to focus on making that -10 a -8/-9. I think this approach is contingent upon the successful completion of two primary tasks: 1. a deep and honest understand of what you are doing wrong when it comes to either the passage or the questions and 2.the continual implementation of strategies you garner from the deep and honest assessment of what you are doing wrong. Essentially, what I would recommend is to first diagnose with precision and then second not let off on the gas so-to-speak on ridding your approach of those errors.

• fmihalic2fmihalic2 Free Trial Member
    266 karma

@uhinberg said:
    I sympathize with your plight, but it seems to me that there might be a "patience" issue here. You have posted several times in the past few weeks about your RC struggles, and from the continued frustration, it appears to me that you'd like to see major results in just a few weeks. I mean, there are people who spend months on end getting better at individual sections. The LSAT is a beast of a test, and there are no real shortcuts. For many, it's a long slog, with ups and downs, peaks and valleys, elation and frustration, and multiple takes. At the end of the day, your score is really good as is, and if you are willing to put in a tremendous amount of time into RC, I'm sure you would considerably improve, and bring your score even higher, to the highest echelon of test takers.

Thanks a lot. I definitely have not very patient with this since I picked up LR and LG fairly quickly, I started to panic when RC was just at a stand still. I guess, tbh anything 165 or above would be perfectly fine with me because I am not interested in biglaw at all and would have several very strong TT options right in my backyard. I'm just looking for a more respectable RC score because well, who wants to feel like they've been defeated by words on a page...

• fmihalic2fmihalic2 Free Trial Member
    266 karma

@jkatz1488

How long of a break do you recommend? That's another problem I have. I never know when to stop and take a break. I work myself to the bone. Now that you say that, part of my regression is probably exhausted. I haven't had the same energy levels lately with games or LR. I took the day off yesterday but this morning I still felt exhausted after a PT on Saturday.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Try 3 days? But make the most of those days. Avoid drugs and alcohol. Get outside. Be active. Do something you really enjoy. Get enough sleep but don't oversleep.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Definitely try a break, try some untimed work, and I highly recommend The LSAT Trainer and Manhattan LSAT's RC book. All have helped me immensely, along with JY's awesome memory method.

Make sure you focus on the details a little bit, but mostly be concerned with the structure and the opposing view points of the author and those he may be making an argument against or to prove. Ask questions and predict what is going to happen next in the passage. This means we are actively reading to stay engaged. Look for the 2 sides of the debate and pull out what side the author is on. (This makes up about 80% of passages)

Always keep an eye on the big picture and keep asking questions about how each paragraph is connected.

• BlbbrNggtBlbbrNggt Member
    51 karma

Seems like anxiety is getting you. You are still scoring in the top 8-9% so with that in mind, not sure how close you are to your test day, but you should take a few breaths and relax. If you can finish arguments with consistent -1 -2 there is really no reason you should be that rushed and missing so many on RC. Usually timing is an issue for many people on LR so it's not that you don't read fast enough. (well could be.. but not likely) It seems as though you may have issues paying attention to the passages. LR are very fast and you do not need to focus on any particular argument for more than a minute. With RC if you have issues focusing, or imagining the passage you will pay the price in the questions. This could be because you are too anxious and possibly try to move through the passages too quickly and end up blowing time on the questions by having to think about them too much, or having to look back at the text too often (which also may be a confidence thing). I got my reading comp down to about -2 by basically doing all the reading comp passages, organized by subject, (LAW, Natural Sci., Humanities etc) from prep tests 1-38. I did the easy ones untimed and really paid attention to what i was reading then i used a count up timer on the hard ones. I also went through the whole manhattan prep book for RC. The process took about 2 months but I definitely improved and reading comp is my easiest section now.