Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Only two months to study..

jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
in General 630 karma

Unfortunately, I have only two months to study for the September LSAT. Any suggestions on how to get through this? I am a pretty quick learner and I have had a friend who studied for the LSAT in one month and got into UBC Law school. I am taking one class right now to finish my undergrad and it'll be done by the end of this month. I also work part time, so I could really use all the help that I can get. I know I don't have enough time to finish the entire curriculum, but I have skimmed through most of it. Now, I just have to start applying the strategies learned to actual questions.

I could really use all the advice that I can get. Thank you in advance!!

Comments

• navilsatnavilsat Alum Member
    96 karma

One thing that I found detrimental to my studies was comparing myself to others. Some people study for a day and get above 170, some study for months and never reach a score above 150.

My advice would be focus on your own studying, finish the CC, and see where you personally feel in August. UBC also takes your December score, based on my knowledge. So assuming you don't have any other conflicts, you could also write it in December if you aren't feeling ready.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

@navilsat raises a very good point. Is there a pressing reason to take the September LSAT, instead of the December LSAT? Either way, we're talking about applying for Fall '18.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited July 2017 23929 karma

@jennybbbbb

My advice is 2 months is not enough to study. Some people start with high diagnostics and maybe only need a month, though, it is pretty damn rare.

What is your score goal?
    Have you taken a diagnostic test (timed test) ?
    If so, what was your score?

You can't really learn this test by skimming or reading, memorizing, or anything that you are probably used to when traditionally learning something. Learning the LSAT is a lot like learning the piano. You can play and practice 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, but it's still going to take you years to get good. Unless, of course, you're a prodigy.

With 3 months and no other commitments, I'd say it might be possible depending on where you're starting from. 2 months, however, just doesn't seem realistic for any respectable score you're going to be happy with. It takes about 2 months to get through the core curriculum. That will contain all the fundamental info and strategies you'll need to know to be minimally competent on the exam. Then after, you'd probably want to fool proof or do most of the games from PTs 1-40 t get your LG score down to as close to a consistent -0 as possible. Then there's drilling, practice tests, and lots of blind review.

Why do you only have 2 months to study for the most important test you may ever take?

• jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
    630 karma

@navilsat @"Alex Divine" @uhinberg

Thank you for your advice!! I have done a diagnostic and have scored a 148.
    I am aiming for September since I know that a lot of law schools accept on a rolling basis. Will I be at a disadvantage if I decide to take the December LSAT?

I will have time off this fall to completely focus on the LSAT, but I want to make sure I am not at a disadvantage either.

Please let me know your thoughts and again, thank you!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@jennybbbbb said:
    @navilsat @"Alex Divine" @uhinberg

Thank you for your advice!! I have done a diagnostic and have scored a 148.
    I am aiming for September since I know that a lot of law schools accept on a rolling basis. Will I be at a disadvantage if I decide to take the December LSAT?

I will have time off this fall to completely focus on the LSAT, but I want to make sure I am not at a disadvantage either.

Please let me know your thoughts and again, thank you!

I just think it is such an important test that setting anything other than a tentative date (one in which you're willing to change; and possibly lose money) doesn't make sense. You just have no idea how long concepts and progress will take. This is not a humblebrag. I finished first in my class. 4.0. Got a job on Wall Street at a reputable bank after a stint at an internship at a known law firm. I thought, 3 months and this test is mine. Last August, I decided I would sit for December. It didn't take me long before I realized with life getting in the way and trying to do thing right, short of being a genius, you'll need 3-4 months to do well on this test. Even then, you probably won't reach your potential, but maybe hit a score you can live with. I sound like a broken record and I try to warn everyone I can but the legal profession isn't a joke. Finding a job is hardest part and the LSAT is the easiest part. What you score almost, more than anything, determines what your career is going to look like.

So I would recommend taking some time to think it over. Start prepping but realize if you want a 170 coming from a 148, on average takes people a year plus. I made that number off up off anecdata from friends and other law school forum buds. The thing is, as shitty as it sounds, if you are going to master this test in 3 months, you're diagnostic is almost always in the 160+ range. Again, it is important to instill and remember that this test is one of applications of skills and not knowledge per say. So it requires time to learn the techniques and pattern recognition and such.

Just ask why you need to aim for September and apply this next cycle? Take the test when you're scoring a number that will get you into the school of your choice for a good scholarship.

Good luck!

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

@"Alex Divine" I think that @jennybbbbb would like for you to drop some LSAT knowledge about her concerns about being at a disadvantage with the December LSAT. Personally, I think that the potential gains from a higher LSAT outweigh any advantage from early application, but I'm sure you've got great data on the matter.

• MooseonthelooseMooseontheloose Alum Member
    edited July 2017 92 karma

"we honour the December deadline as well as the February writing of the LSAT. Therefore, we cannot and do not fill all our spots early. Applying early does not increase an applicant's chance of being given an offer, but it does allow us to begin evaluation as soon as possible."

extracted from UBC's frequently asked questions section. Hope this helps. @jennybbbbb

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@uhinberg said:
    @"Alex Divine" I think that @jennybbbbb would like for you to drop some LSAT knowledge about her concerns about being at a disadvantage with the December LSAT. Personally, I think that the potential gains from a higher LSAT outweigh any advantage from early application, but I'm sure you've got great data on the matter.

I don't honestly know enough about Canada's law system or specifically UBC. I do know that you'll need what, a high 150s or low 160s minimally? So you're looking at around a 12 point increase and by September. I guess it could be done. I'm actually a pretty big believer that where you begin on your diagnostic does matter quite a bit when discussing questions of longevity of study. Scoring a 148 on your diagnostic means, simply put, you have a lot of work to do. And you have a little over 2 months to do it. Studies show studying for 3-4 hours with breaks is optimal for a test like this, so even if you study 2 session a day (8 hours), 6 days a week, and a day off, which is very important to take lest ye [sic] burn out.

So, in my estimation, it may very well take you longer than 2 months. It took me about 2 months just to get through the CC. That didn't include drilling, timed sections (where I made most of my improvements) fool proofing (which took 3-4 weeks), and PT'ing at least ~15 tests or whatever it takes to get to your score.

Again, I don't know enough about the UBC to speak on this in any meaningful way, but I would surmise that a higher score in December would be preferable to a much lower in September. I think from now until December (approx. 4.5 months) you would have a way better shot at a 160.

my only argument against aiming to rush to take a test is that by virtue of rushing you burn through finite tests and material. I think of every single PT as a juicy, ripe orange. You want to squeeze every drop of juice (knowledge) out of that orange. And when you're rushing to prepare in 2 months, because this is a test of exposure and pattern recognition, arguably as much as anything else, you are putting yourself at danger of not getting all you can out of these finite tests.

So even if UBC only takes the highest score, you should still try your best your first time. Or else why bother? And moreover, like I said above, you may waste valuable material.

In sum, I think 2 months is just an unrealistic amount of time to study when starting from a 148 diagnostic. And so the issue is, I don't think there is any really good advice accept to go through the CC at a comfortable pace, treat it like a college course; take notes, pay attention, do the work, etc., and then drill, fool proof and do a ton of timed sections with BR as well as a good amount of PTs with BR.

We often think we HAVE to apply this cycle when in reality there's just a self imposed gun to our head held by our own ego making us think these thoughts. I thought I was going to apply to law school when I graduated a couple of years ago. I thought I had to take September 2016 period. I had threats from family, judgement from friends, and significant others. I basically realized it's my life. It will be my career of my goals and my debt. I'm doing this the right way on my time frame.

If there's ever a reason you NEED to take an a specific LSAT, then chances are you shouldn't be taking that LSAT. It's a stupid little maxim I just made up, but it sort of makes sense when you think about it in the abstract notion.