Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

quick clarification on conditional sentence using not

vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
edited July 2017 in General 1084 karma

Hey everyone,

So I came across this thing in LG that got me a bit confused. Hoping someone can offer a quick clarification. Perhaps my brain just froze.

There is this one answer choice in LG that says:
If Hamadi is not appointed to the trial court than Perkins must be.

J.Y translated this as: H --> /P

but isn't it the other way around? In this case it is the "If" that is starting the conditional, not the "not". So shouldn't the translation be:

/H --> P

I don't know why I'm stumbling on this one but just can't see why he flipped it in this situation.

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I would have done /H --> P, but since this is a grouping problem I don't think it'll negatively impact your diagram.

• vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
    edited July 2017 1084 karma

@USER123456
    Yeah, so you feel the same as me. It wasn't consequential for that game but I'm more trying to understand the logic under what J.Y did. Not so much for just this question but just in general if there is a larger logic principle I might be confusing

• Gladiator_2017Gladiator_2017 Yearly Member
    1332 karma

I just did this game. It's because it is an in out game and JY is using the Appellate Court as the in group and the Trial court as the out group. So if H is not in T, that means he's in A which is the in group. Hope that helps!

1084 karma

@Gladiator_2017
    Ah I see! thanks that helps a lot.
    I was trying to apply normal conditional logic and couldn't figure out what was up.

• Gladiator_2017Gladiator_2017 Yearly Member
    1332 karma

Of course! In/out games are my weakness on LG. So I've been trying to work on a consistent system for how to diagram my rules and get to the inferences. Little by little!

edited July 2017 1084 karma

@Gladiator_2017
    Yeah, I have struggled a lot with LG in general. I finally feel, after tons of practice, that I'm getting to a place where I can do most all of the questions, but I'm still working to finish the whole section under time
    Good luck!