Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sudden jump in score

calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
in General 582 karma

I've taken about 7 or so full PTs thus far, in addition to going through the CC (for the most part--I'm taking in September so I needed to get started on PTs) and using 2 other books. Until now, taking random PTs from the 30s, 50s, and 60s, I've averaged around 165-166. I took PT52 just now and got a 176

WTF

Is PT52 just crazy easy or is this a breakthrough?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@cal270 said:
    I've taken about 7 or so full PTs thus far, in addition to going through the CC (for the most part--I'm taking in September so I needed to get started on PTs) and using 2 other books. Until now, taking random PTs from the 30s, 50s, and 60s, I've averaged around 165-166. I took PT52 just now and got a 176

WTF

Is PT52 just crazy easy or is this a breakthrough?

Ive taken 52 and it isn't exceptionally easy in any particular way. Congrats on the jump, that's fantastic. It might be an outlier, but that is still one tell of a score!

BR it will and see where you missed the very few you did and after another PT you will know more about whether this is an outlier or what.

Have you done a lot of timed sections and drilling since your last 7 PTs?

• calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
    edited July 2017 582 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@cal270 said:

Thanks for the input, Alex. I always appreciate your posts :smile:

Nope; I really haven't done significant drilling. In fact, my last PT (PT 61) was on Tuesday and I scored 168. I have spent a lot of time BRing that PT and reviewing logic games in the last week, but only 2-3 hours a day. That's why I'm concerned! I felt so much more comfortable on this PT, and with the exception of LG, I actually finished early with no total guesses. Oh well…I guess only time will tell. Fingers crossed.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

When I took 3 months off I came back and took a PT and jumped from a 159 to a 168. I was shocked. After some more time I slowly fell back toward a 165, but never dropped back below it after that point.

If you had a long enough break, it is possible this is a result. I would celebrate it and use it as motivation, but take it with a slight grain of salt until you have more proof!

Congrats on the jump! I hope to finally push into the 170's soon :'(

• doyouevenLSATdoyouevenLSAT Core Member
    609 karma

what were those two books!? lol.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@cal270 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@cal270 said:

Thanks for the input, Alex. I always appreciate your posts :smile:

Nope; I really haven't done significant drilling. In fact, my last PT (PT 61) was on Tuesday and I scored 168. I have spent a lot of time BRing that PT and reviewing logic games in the last week, but only 2-3 hours a day. That's why I'm concerned! I felt so much more comfortable on this PT, and with the exception of LG, I actually finished early with no total guesses. Oh well…I guess only time will tell. Fingers crossed.

:) thank you for the kind words, samesies :)

Finger crossed. I would say, honestly, a jump that high is probably somewhat of an anomaly; yet, I won't say that it is 100% a situation in which you got lucky. A 176 is a score you don't really get with luck, you really must have been flowing and knowing your stuff. I would be very happy. First, now you know what your capable of going forward: A 176! Second, I would write a summary in a word document of the test. How it felt, how you approached certain things, if you did anything differently. Sometimes just being more aggressive and trusting your instincts more can lead to a higher score.

Also, state of mind is something we often don't talk much about. We talk about burn out in a sort of nebulous way, but really, how you're feeling in the moment matters a lot.... and it will reflect in your score.

In my not-expert opinion, I think you are improving greatly and though this 176 may be an outlier, that is not a bad thing. It isn't like you hit the jackpot twice and it's a game of luck, you did very well on this particular exam. I would really reflect on what you did right and what, if anything, you would have done differently to get that ultimate 180? Timing? Pacing? Skipping?

Regardless, I am very proud of you! that is a score most dream of and PT52 isn't a notoriously easy test. After all, it is a standardized exam. Maybe it played to some of hour strengths; even still, you killed it! Congrats :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited July 2017 23929 karma

@MichaelTheArchAngel said:

Perhaps he meant the Official LSAT Next Ten Books of 52-61, 62-71, and the upcoming 72-81?

I could be completely wrong, just my guess.

Even if they were magical LSAT books, don't go looking for silver bullet. They don't exist with this test, lol ;)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    When I took 3 months off I came back and took a PT and jumped from a 159 to a 168. I was shocked. After some more time I slowly fell back toward a 165, but never dropped back below it after that point.

If you had a long enough break, it is possible this is a result. I would celebrate it and use it as motivation, but take it with a slight grain of salt until you have more proof!

Congrats on the jump! I hope to finally push into the 170's soon :'(

I've been prepping on an off since last August and I can say with certitude that after breaks and a warm up Ive had some of my best scores on timed sections. Recently, I didn't do games for like a month after re-starting my new job. One Saturday morning I did a random section and went -2. That is pretty damn good for me and being that out of practice. Granted, I did the sections before, but no time recently. Our brains sometimes just need time to reflect and to absorb the information. It's like the old cliche that you don't build muscle in the gym, but while you're actually resting and healing.

• calcal101calcal101 Alum Member
    582 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

Perhaps he meant the Official LSAT Next Ten Books of 52-61, 62-71, and the upcoming 72-81?

Even if they were magical LSAT books, don't go looking for silver bullet. They don't exist with this test, lol ;)

nope! They were actually the the BluePrint LG book (nice intro but only gets you so far…I find JY's explanations and grouping methods more helpful) and the LR Bible.

Both helped, but the 7Sage CC is WAY better

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@cal270 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

nope! They were actually the the BluePrint LG book (nice intro but only gets you so far…I find JY's explanations and grouping methods more helpful) and the LR Bible.

Both helped, but the 7Sage CC is WAY better

Oh... Yeah the BP G book. It doesn't have terrible reviews, but I haven't EVER heard anyone rant or rave about it. If you're a visual learning the CC is the way to go and PS LG Bible is still a great book for learning the fundamentals. Still, as mentioned, the CC is far superior if you ask me. What's better than a real time play by play of how to solve a game?