Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Weaken Questions

tanes256tanes256 Alum Member

Hey, yall. For weaken type questions do you think it's safe to double check your AC by determining if it precludes the conclusion from being properly drawn from the evidence? If not, it's not the correct AC. We have a way to double check NA AC why not for all?? Ugh! It's been a minute since I've gone through the curriculum so this may have been mentioned. My bad if so. I get the task for weaken questions: weaken the support between the premise and conclusion. I'm just trying to help it become more intuitive for me. Thoughts? Anyone think I could get turned around or confused in higher degree of difficulty questions?

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

Hey @tanes256

I think preclude is way too strong of a requirement. A lot of the answer choices can be very subtle on weaken questions. Like you said, if it weakens the support between premise and conclusion, you want to go for that. Weakening the argument doesn't necessarily entail the conclusion is destroyed. It just means that its not as strongly supported as before.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

Also, remember that we can't weaken a valid argument. If the conclusion is properly drawn, it is impossible to weaken it without changing the premises. So even before we weaken it, the question type has already precluded validity!

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@"Cant Get Right" @Sami Gotcha! Thx, guys!