Chances with 159/3.74

NMcQueenNMcQueen Alum Member
in General 22 karma

Hey everyone! I took the June LSAT and received a 159. I am a Computer Science major dedicated in pursuing an education and career in software IP law. I have several software engineering internships at top Fortune 500 tech companies. My dream is to attend a top patent law school. I was wondering what my chances were at top IP law programs like GW, Boston, Santa Clara, Houston, and UNC? I am planning on retaking in September for more scholarship money and better chances but was curious what my chances are with my current score and GPA of 3.74. Any advice and information would very helpful!

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

From what I've heard/read, you shouldn't be attending a school for their IP program. You should be attending a school based on their overall ranking (e.g. T14 school).

Assuming you aren't a URM, you have a good shot at Santa Clara and Houston. I think GW and Boston are big reaches.

How much did you study the first time around? There is no reason you shouldn't be retaking again. I don't think you should be thinking of scholarship money right now. I think you should focus on scoring high enough to get admitted into the schools first.

• usernameusername Alum Member
    276 karma

Patent work is slowing down due to a few recent structural reforms. I'm pretty sure you'll be better off just going to a better school than focusing on practice specific programs. Retake and shoot for GW?

Anyway, yeah. Your chances at the lower ranked of this set of schools are fine.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@USER123456 said:
    From what I've heard/read, you shouldn't be attending a school for their IP program. You should be attending a school based on their overall ranking (e.g. T14 school).

Definitely something to consider. When it comes to law schools, speciality rankings shouldn't guide your decision of where to attend.

Check out mylsn.info to put your numbers/info in to compare yourself to other admitted students.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

GW is a reach, but I believe they place decent in IP although it may just be self-selection. On that note, don't go to a school for specialty rankings, go to a school with good employment stats for a good price.

Also, mylsn for sure. Good luck!

• ArtVandelayArtVandelay Member
    53 karma

AFAIK Patent Law "specialty" schools only claim they are so because engineers at big companies are sent to these law schools on corporate dollar so they can then go out and litigate the very technologies they have been working on. The better option is to retake with confidence and apply to better schools.
    If you're really serious about software IP, I've been lead to believe you should also have a masters or PhD in said area before going to law school. Supposedly it helps establish your working knowledge of the field and the JD gives you the power to litigate on behalf of your employer.

Either way you shouldn't focus on what schools have "top" programs and instead go for the best name-brand considering where you'd want to practice.

• nima250nima250 Alum Member
    30 karma

@ArtVandelay unreal username.