Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simplified study sheet for studying Formal Logic?

jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
in General 630 karma

Hey guys!

So I really struggle with really grasping formal logic. It's just one of those things that I just can't seem to understand. I'll understand the basics in shorthand but when it comes to applying FL to actual statements... I fail.

I am still in the early stages of completing the core curriculum, however I understand that formal logic is crucial in getting a lot of questions that have some type of logic associated so I want to be an expert by the end of it all.

Does anyone have a strategy on getting formal logic down? Any study sheets or tips that have helped you guys?

Appreciate it!

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

What part of the Core Curriculum are you in?

I think you should memorize everything on this sheet and apply to sentences:
    https://7sage.com/lesson/4-translation-groups-cheatsheet/

Understanding logic is very important especially for some SA, MBT questions in LR and In/Out Games in LG.

Good luck :)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@jennybbbbb said:
    Hey guys!

So I really struggle with really grasping formal logic. It's just one of those things that I just can't seem to understand. I'll understand the basics in shorthand but when it comes to applying FL to actual statements... I fail.

I am still in the early stages of completing the core curriculum, however I understand that formal logic is crucial in getting a lot of questions that have some type of logic associated so I want to be an expert by the end of it all.

Does anyone have a strategy on getting formal logic down? Any study sheets or tips that have helped you guys?

Appreciate it!

Yeah, I get it. I actually just wrote a post about how even as a philosophy minor I had a bit of trouble grappling with the application of logic on this test. If you are in the early stages of the CC, then it is normal not to have it down just yet.

I printed out the corresponding sheets to the lessons Akistotle mentioned above. So the one titled "CONDITIONAL RULES IN GAMES DRILL." and https://7sage.com/lesson/4-translation-groups-cheatsheet/

I hung them up on my wall above my desk where I study. But even before that, I just committed them to memory. I rewatched certain parts of the lessons numerous times and made sure I practiced with problem sets immediately afterwards to solidify my understanding of anything new I was learning.

• jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
    630 karma

@akistotle @"Alex Divine"

Thank you guys! I have memorized this sheet but I still struggle when it comes to applying formal logic in a question's stimulus. I really have a hard time identifying which statements require conditional reasoning. I am on Sufficient Assumptions right now, so I still have a long way to go but I want to start as early as I can!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@jennybbbbb said:
    @akistotle @"Alex Divine"

Thank you guys! I have memorized this sheet but I still struggle when it comes to applying formal logic in a question's stimulus. I really have a hard time identifying which statements require conditional reasoning. I am on Sufficient Assumptions right now, so I still have a long way to go but I want to start as early as I can!

I think if you're only on the SA lessons right now, you still have a lot to learn. I wouldn't sweat it too much, just pay attention to how JY applies the logic in the video lessons. Eventually you'll just automatically start thinking "logically" and apply where need be.

• vanessa fishervanessa fisher Alum Member
    edited July 2017 1084 karma

@jennybbbbb
    At the risk of sounding simplistic, I think it really boils down to practice, exposure and time. It's like learning a foreign language. You can learn the basic grammar and memorize the grammar rules, but when you have to actually speak or write it won't always translate (this is a legit example, as I was an ESL teacher :)). The fluent writing and speaking is a different skill.

It really comes down to patience and repeated exposure, and watching how J.Y does the translations in real time when you watch the explanations for different answers. This is why I think it is so key to have at least 10 months if possible to study for the LSAT if this is entirely new language for you. It's not something you can cram.

If it makes you feel any better, I had similar struggles and frustrations at the beginning and was sure I'd never get it. It started to come over time through exposure and just seeing tons of examples J.Y did and then doing a ton myself. Also, I'd suggest checking out this free webinar "When to actually diagram in LR" which will give you some tips on when it is best to diagram and when not:
    https://7sage.com/webinar/when-to-actually-diagram-in-lr/

best of luck!