Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mistakes by LR Question type

himi.salahhimi.salah Alum Member
edited July 2017 in Logical Reasoning 19 karma

Hope this helps others:

1. Weakening (Except)

○ I assumed that the correct answer choice (which would need to be the one that did not
weaken the argument) needed to be one that strengthened the argument. In reality,
something that is neutral suffices as something that does not weaken

2. Flaw

○ I failed to realize that words like (to) promote, elevate, develop, forward, advance, stimulate,
assist, foster, boost, catalyze, nurture and encourage are NOT synonyms for sufficient nor
necessary.

○ Instead of choosing the answer choice that attacks the argument, I chose the answer choice that
merely validated the opposing argument. Just because an argument is true that does not mean its
opposite is false.

○ I failed to realize that the correct answer choice was subtle which lead me to choose the best
incorrect answer choice since it appeared to say what the correct answer choice is saying.

3. Main Conclusion

○ I chose the context and/or intro statement instead of the conclusion

4. NA

○ I skimmed the stimulus

○ I did not choose the correct answer because it was a pretty strong statement which the correct NA
answer choice usually is not. Sometimes the NA is strong.

○ I did not see how the correct answer choice helped to connect everything up. Focused way too much
on looking for those ACs that when negated, destroy the argument. I did this at the expense of
looking for those ACs that when negated burn down the bridge formed by the correct AC.

○ I failed to correctly identify what the implication would be if the assumption inherent in the
correct answer choice was reversed.

○ I failed to focus on the conclusion and instead mistakenly focused on the premise/support that is
integral to the conclusion

○ I assumed that the correct answer choice would need to, when negated, be able to destroy the
argument but it merely needs to make the argument irrelevant.

5. Parallel Flaw

○ I failed to ensure that all of the elements of the flawed argument I chose amongst the answer
choices aligned with all of the elements of the stimulus' flawed argument including modifiers such
as "safely" or "obviously conclude" versus "must conclude".

○ Sometimes does not mean some

6. Strengthening

○ Only appears to be strong but does nothing to strengthen the argument