Redacted

1000001910000019 Alum Member
edited April 2020 in Off-topic 3279 karma

Redacted

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@10000019 said:
    Did the LSAC prohibit individuals with no interest in law school from taking the LSAT?
    I find it interesting to see the score reports from professional tutors, but I haven't seen any for the most recent exams. I couldn't find any reliable information online.

Judging from what happened to Dave Hall (http://abovethelaw.com/2012/05/lsat-tutor-improperly-claimed-he-got-three-perfect-scores-the-internet-and-a-competitor-get-very-very-angry/) I don't think LSAC is fond of individuals taking the test just because.

No, they aren't prohibited (to my knowledge) it just puts in jeopardy whether or not the score is going to count. When you sign the answer cheat certifying you didn't cheat, you're also agreeing that you are taking the test with the sole intent to go to law school. Probably partly because they don't want JY Ping's, Dave Hall's, and Mike Kim's taking the test to study it and write LSAT courses that crack the test, lol.

That's old news with Dave. He's got this 3rd score now (fwiw). The LSAC doesn't want people taking the test who don't plan on going to law school, which makes perfect sense.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Dave stopped taking it after 2013, so I was curious whether he was discouraged or just didn't feel like it.

Dave Hall's scores and Robin Singh's scores have me convinced that the distinction between a 176 and a 180 is meaningless.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@10000019 said:
    Dave stopped taking it after 2013, so I was curious whether he was discouraged or just didn't feel like it.

Dave Hall's scores and Robin Singh's scores have me convinced that the distinction between a 176 and a 180 is meaningless.

I disagree. The distinction is that those who have truly mastered this test can score consistent 180s. There's a reason someone can score 3 180s and countless other 180s on older PTs.

While Dave has clearly seemed to have mastered this test, the only thing I'm convinced of is that those who score the highest aren't the best at teaching this test.

I'm sure this whole debacle discouraged him from taking the test again. Not sure how much of that was scandal vs. actual LSAC, but I still can't find anything that states you're prohibited from taking the test, though I'm sure they will look down on people who continue to take it for reasons other than law school.

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@10000019 said:

I disagree. The distinction is that those who have truly mastered this test can score consistent 180s. There's a reason someone can score 3 180s and countless other 180s on older PTs.

Eh. 176 and 180 are exactly the same for admissions. You'll very regularly see people fluctuate between those scores, with some consistency too, just because it's very dependent upon luck. Maybe for the 3 or 4 people in the world who do it for fun and as a profession, is luck no longer a factor, but for your regular test takers, the scores are a wash imo.

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

I think the difference is just minor. Scores above 176, like Nathan said in the podcast, are technical same in admission process.

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    edited July 2017 3197 karma

Yes, @"Alex Divine" & @10000019 they prohibit this technically. On test day you will be required to write and sign the certifying statements on your answer sheet and LSAT Admission Ticket "attesting that the person taking the test is the person whose name appears on these forms and that you are taking the test for the sole purpose of admission to law school."

Source:
    https://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source/jd-docs/candidate-info-sheet.pdf

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Mellow_Z said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@10000019 said:

Eh. 176 and 180 are exactly the same for admissions. You'll very regularly see people fluctuate between those scores, with some consistency too, just because it's very dependent upon luck. Maybe for the 3 or 4 people in the world who do it for fun and as a profession, is luck no longer a factor, but for your regular test takers, the scores are a wash imo.

Oh I should have been more clear, I totally agree with what you've written, especially for purposes of admission. I just don't think the distinction is meaningless.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@stepharizona said:
    Yes, @"Alex Divine" & @10000019 they prohibit this technically. On test day you will be required to write and sign the certifying statements on your answer sheet and LSAT Admission Ticket "attesting that the person taking the test is the person whose name appears on these forms and that you are taking the test for the sole purpose of admission to law school."

Source:
    https://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source/jd-docs/candidate-info-sheet.pdf

I guess technically, yes. I suppose you could still take the test and amend the answer sheet to say you don't agree or not sign it. However, of course, then you likely wouldn't get your score.

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

Yep they refuse to release your score until written and signed