Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAC Chronograph Ban- UPDATE

westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
in General 3788 karma

Just as an FYI for people, I have been in touch with the LSAC official and they have permitted me to use the LSATMax watch, which goes from 0 to 35 minutes and can stop and restart the time by pressing or pulling the crown. Even with the picture, the LSAC officials seemed ok with the watch and told me I can bring in a copy of my email conversation to the testing center.

Comments

• Mitchell-1Mitchell-1 Member
    756 karma

So the video I just watched showed you having to wind the crown to reset, which would mean this is in line with their other rulings. And if this is the case, a normal watch does the same thing while providing more value in that it can be used as a watch afterwards. Is there a newer version where it's just a button press to reset automatically? If so, my guess is they just don't realize the crown is also a button and will likely reverse their decision later. If they don't, well they should just stop making this complicated and allow chronographs. I get not wanting to give proctors a headache by having to contend with complaints about timing, but still...

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@Mitchell-1. From my limited understanding, I don't believe this and many other LSAT watches come with the functionality of automatically resetting the time. At least based on their decision to approve this watch, I think the issue they have with the chronograph watches are the buttons that automatically reset time. Even if the students used normal watches, wouldn't there still be complaints about time if there is a discrepancy? The burden of keeping accurate time should be on proctors; test-takers shouldn't be punished for bringing up potentially viable concerns regarding the proctor's timing.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Mitchell-1" said:
    So the video I just watched showed you having to wind the crown to reset, which would mean this is in line with their other rulings. And if this is the case, a normal watch does the same thing while providing more value in that it can be used as a watch afterwards. Is there a newer version where it's just a button press to reset automatically? If so, my guess is they just don't realize the crown is also a button and will likely reverse their decision later. If they don't, well they should just stop making this complicated and allow chronographs. I get not wanting to give proctors a headache by having to contend with complaints about timing, but still...

Yeah, just to add they also confirmed that the Perfect Score watch is also permitted. I just worry that the proctors may not accept the email, so I'm going to just use my regular Casio.

3788 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Mitchell-1" said:

Yeah, just to add they also confirmed that the Perfect Score watch is also permitted. I just worry that the proctors may not accept the email, so I'm going to just use my regular Casio.

Haha @"Alex Divine" I even asked LSAC what if the proctors don't accept the email. They reiterated a point made earlier to me that they could always give LSAC a call.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Mitchell-1" said:

Haha @"Alex Divine" I even asked LSAC what if the proctors don't accept the email. They reiterated a point made earlier to me that they could always give LSAC a call.

Touché.... I'm going to have the LSAC's # memorized in case the proctors need to call, lol.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    edited August 2017 4196 karma

I am still annoyed that I just recently got the MM watch from a friend and was excited, but LSAC had to just rain on my parade as they tend to do for many upside down face emoji

• Mitchell-1Mitchell-1 Member
    756 karma

My point is just, if you have to manually reset an LSAT watch, I guarantee you can find a cheaper normal watch that acts the same way if you set it to 12:00 to start. And you get the bonus of being able to use it as a normal watch afterwards.

And trust me, I'm sure part of the reason for banning the chronograph is because people would argue with proctors about their time not being up, or writing to LSAC about it. From my understanding, proctors are supposed to immediately start the next section. If that's the case, having to manually set leaves ambiguity about when time actually started as opposed to the buttons which are more exact.

4196 karma

@"Mitchell-1" said:
    My point is just, if you have to manually reset an LSAT watch, I guarantee you can find a cheaper normal watch that acts the same way if you set it to 12:00 to start. And you get the bonus of being able to use it as a normal watch afterwards.

And trust me, I'm sure part of the reason for banning the chronograph is because people would argue with proctors about their time not being up, or writing to LSAC about it. From my understanding, proctors are supposed to immediately start the next section. If that's the case, having to manually set leaves ambiguity about when time actually started as opposed to the buttons which are more exact.

yeah I think I'm gonna go with a normal watch after having had the MM watch. It sucks that they did this but whatever, I guess they have their reasons... their stupid stupid reasons..

3788 karma

@"Mitchell-1" said:

I agree with your reasoning here. Im definitely considering bringing the casio watch. I actually got the lsatmax watch for free so the foregone cost was an issue for me.

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

I think I'm still just gonna go with my Casio. I'm too paranoid :sweat_smile:

4196 karma

@Freddy_D said:

Same. I feel like their will be some proctors who argue with you about LSAT watches that are still permitted. To avoid that headache just go with a normal watch since there are some idiotic proctors out there.

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

@TheMikey said:

@Freddy_D said:

Same. I feel like their will be some proctors who argue with you about LSAT watches that are still permitted. To avoid that headache just go with a normal watch since there are some idiotic proctors out there.

Exactly, you never know what kind of proctor you're gonna get.

4196 karma

I think it would be allowed since it looks like you have to turn the thingy to reset it, unlike a stopwatch type of LSAT watch.

3788 karma

You should give LSAC an email and they should have the answers for you. They didn't really explain their reasoning aside from saying that my LSAT max watch is approved.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Yes, I'm like 99% sure that'd be just fine since it's the same thing as the other watches they have verified are okay. You still might want to email them and double check for peace of mind.