Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The words "generally" and "usually" in formal logic

jackson.grubbejackson.grubbe Free Trial Member

I would think that both of these words would be written as "most" in formal logic. Is this correct? Or would generally just be "some"?

Comments

• Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
    2426 karma

I personally interpret them as "most", generally and usually are in a way synonyms to most of the time, at least to me. I wouldn't interpret them as some though.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Yes I generally interpret them as "most", but it will always depend on context. I ran into a really tricky use of the word "often" in a timed section today and I interpreted than as "some".

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Like @jkatz1488 said above, generally "most" is a good substitute. However, it is very, very important to pay attention to the context.

• Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
    2426 karma

@jkatz1488 I agree with your usage of "often" there, "often" is kinda similar to "many" it does just mean some, cuz the notion of "often" could be arbitrary according to the individual. I don't know if we could interpret "usually" and "generally" as some though, as some could mean just 1.