Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Conditional Indicator "Except"

sandy180sandy180 Alum Member
in General 159 karma

I have been trying to stick to the group 1-4 method. Previously, if I read "except" I would make what follows the necessary condition and then simply negate the remaining and make that the sufficient. For example, "Mark goes to school except on Sunday" would be /MGS--->Sun and /Sun-->MGS. So my question is do you guys categorize "except" in group 3? Negate the sufficient? What about this example, "Mark does NOT go to school EXCEPT on Sunday." I would again, choose except as the indicator, make what follows the necessary, and negate the remaining and get MGS-->Sun and /Sun-->/MGS. I am trying to rewire my brain with JY's computer algorithm, but "except" is the only glitch.

Comments

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Except is the exact same as unless.

• BirdLaw818BirdLaw818 Free Trial Member
    553 karma

If mark goes to school except Sunday, don't we say that : if mark goes to school, then it's not Sunday? Or if it's Sunday, then mark doesn't go to school?

• 1025 karma

Your conditionals express exactly what the english states. I think it would be best to drill "except" into your brain via flashcards. Through your examples, you have proven to yourself that logically, this makes sense to put it as group 3. Drill that bad boy into your brain and treat it like the rest of the group 3 indicators.

• sandy180sandy180 Alum Member
    159 karma

@TheDeterminedC Thanks for the response! I was curious why "except" was not listed among the grp 3 indicators, hence my confusion. I thought there might be a reason why it was excluded. And yes to drilling! That is what I am doing with all the CC. The last 2 or 3 point jump that I need depends on turning my brain into a computer program and relying less on what already comes naturally. Thanks again for responding!

• sandy180sandy180 Alum Member
    159 karma

@Kewlaidd said:
    If mark goes to school except Sunday, don't we say that : if mark goes to school, then it's not Sunday? Or if it's Sunday, then mark doesn't go to school?

Yes this is correct but you are using the conditional indicator "if" and simpley using "except" to negate Sunday. Try the same sentence without "if".