Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diagnostic score June 2007: one year later stayed the same at135.

annamarie73annamarie73 Alum Member
edited September 2017 in General 21 karma

Hello: My target lsat score is 150 and I am planning to take the Lsat in December. Over the last year I studied half of the cc, and then decided I needed extra help, so I purchased the Power score Bibles. Currently, I have not taken any practice or timed pretests because I am having issues of applying what I have learned from the CC/Power score to the actual diagnostic tests. I don't feel as though I am learning the material. I understand the material when reading it, but forget half of the material that I thought I have digested. Should I go through the 7sage CC again or try focusing on the basic concepts before doing any untimed/timed pretests? I also have test anxiety! I wanted to take the test in December because delaying the test has not improved my score. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Comments

• tams2018tams2018 Member
    727 karma

If your still in a low score range then you are not processing the material properly. If you forget the material then you did not understand what you learned. You may recall what you learned but you did not understand it.

Go through CC again. Do not leave a lesson until you fully understand what is being explained. Meaning, you should be able to summarize in your own words what was discussed. I recommend you start with the grammar lessons. Practice those skills on LR short passages (don't answer the questions yet). Find the subject, predicate, etc.

Continue with the lessons. Do the problem sets and listen carefully to the explanations. Repeat the sets again after watching the explanations and explain to yourself why the correct answer is correct why the incorrect answer is incorrect. Watch the video again to see if what you came up with is what JY came up with. Still lost? Review the lessons once again. Do more problem sets. Once satisfactory, more on. All the lessons build on each other.

You can do this. Don't just watch a video and think "oh OK" and move on. Really try to materialize what you just heard and use that in your practice. Work slowly, give yourself time to fully understand this. Take some time and come back and do the lesson over again, your understanding will increase.

Order (like learning to walk):
    Level 1. Watch how JY does it (holding your hand)
    Level 2. Work the problem sets, 5 questions at a time (you put your own foot forward and go with hand still held)
    Level 3. Practice that question type -especially if you have the materials- (learning to do on your own)
    Level 4. Mix question types (trying to pick up speed)
    Level 5. Drilling sections (practicing this new skill)
    Level 6. Timed section (start the race)

HTH

• annamarie73annamarie73 Alum Member
    21 karma

Thank you so much for your response! I will try this, thank you! I felt stuck, and was about to just give up on the Lsat but thanks to you I feel more confident!

• ArtVandelayArtVandelay Member
    53 karma

You've just gotta put a lot of hard work into it. It's very easy to watch JY explain and do the thinking FOR you, without actually internalizing the process. Make sure you aren't glossing over important lessons.
    Go through the CC again. Take notes. Seriously, take notes. After every concept, use whatever you feel comfortable with (the note section next to the video, a document on your computer, a notebook -- whatever you like best) to write out the concept and display it in your own words. Then watch the lesson AGAIN to make sure you're saying the same thing. If you can't see the disparity then move on.

Don't touch practice tests until you're completely through the curriculum and feel confident in your abilities.

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    edited September 2017 708 karma

Ok. I started at 149/146 can't remember my first diagnostic but it was one of the two. You HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE HAVE TO do questions. The ONLY way to get better is to do question and timed sections. You will start noticing patterns. You can't expect to watch JY videos and get better- it doesn't work that way.

So for example you watch JY sufficient assumption lesson.
    1. Before each question he does you try and do it. If you get it wrong watch his explanation until you understand why the right answer is right AND why the wrong answers are wrong.

1. After the lesson drill sufficient assumption questions.

2. repeat #1 with each question you drill (you can go to question bank for the questions)

Then after you repeat this process with all of the lessons. You can drill reading comp and logic games this way. Move on to timed sections. I can't stress enough how important times sections are. Timed FULL exams are good to build stamina and get a feel for how the test will be but its in timed sections and BR that you will get better.

My guess is that you are just not doing enough question practice. I was this way as well in the first year of my prep. I read the bibles and might as well have not read them. As far as logic games if you keep watching JY explanations it's harder to get WORSE than it is to get better.

Message me if you need any other tips. I'm not an expert by any means but I get what you are going through :)

• annamarie73annamarie73 Alum Member
    21 karma

Thank you! Yes, I haven't really done question practice. I just keep going over the Lsat material but I feel as though I am not getting any further than I was a year ago. I will follow your advice and maybe I will have more confidence after completing some timed full exams. Thank you so much!