Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Studying while Tipsy...

tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
edited September 2017 in General 3679 karma

http://theawkwardyeti.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/012617_TheBurden.png

Hi all,

At the risk of embarrassing myself, I wanted to share something I learned. A few nights ago my husband and I had date night at Grapefest - Grapefest is an annual carnival in nearby Grapevine, TX where you can eat deep fried foods and drink wine for hours - I know, heaven right? Anyway, I came home still feeling buzzed from said wine drinking and decided to finish up the remaining 30 minutes of studying I promised to do for the day. I was studying 'Flaw' questions, the hardest of the hard for me, and this problem set happened to be the most difficult of the bunch. In my inebriated state, I started the questions assured I'd be completely off and get them all wrong but a strange thing happened: I was clear, focused and thoroughly understood each question and got all five correct in under 7 minutes.

As I sat there dumbfounded, checking each question (remember Flaw questions are my achilles heel) I realized what the difference was that night compared to my other study nights: I was drunk. And with drunkeness comes zero inhibition. I forgot all the little voices in my head that play negative thoughts when I'm studying :'this is too hard', 'you don't know the right answer', 'you suck at this', and I just studied with zero self-doubt and 100% confidence.

The lesson learned? - Drink a bottle of tequila before studying - just kidding. But find a way to release the self-doubt in your head during this process, it could just be that one thing keeping you from a 180.

*Disclaimer: I do not promote studying while intoxicated. This experience was only relayed to illustrate a point :-P

Comments

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

First off, Grapefest sounds dope. Fried food is my first love :heart:
    Also, it looks like you got a good dose of liquid courage :sweat_smile:
    I've been studying for a while, but I've only recently become confident while doing problems. It's a game changer.

CONFIDENCE IS KEY #majorkeyalert * DJ Khaled voice *

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

Awesome story. I've often thought that the LSAT writers had to be drunk to come up with some of their questions, so perhaps it makes sense that you have to be drunk to get them right.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Interesting story....on test day you might experience a sense of this "drunkness" naturally. When I started the test I was on freaking autopilot. There was not doubt, or annoyance, or overthinking. It was the question stem, the argument and the answer choices. So in a way you can almost say you experience a form of being drunk on the real test...The way I felt was unlike anything I felt during my actual studying...similar to your feeling of being drunk!

That is until JUDICIAL CANDOR blows your comfortable little house down with about 15min left in the test.......that was just unfair.

• giftyaskiegiftyaskie Free Trial Member
    8 karma

lol I needed that laugh

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

im always tipsy

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@Freddy_D said:
    First off, Grapefest sounds dope. Fried food is my first love :heart:
    Also, it looks like you got a good dose of liquid courage :sweat_smile:
    I've been studying for a while, but I've only recently become confident while doing problems. It's a game changer.

CONFIDENCE IS KEY #majorkeyalert * DJ Khaled voice *

Grapefest is the best. If you're ever in North Texas in September make plans to go :) This experience seriously changed my way of thinking. I couldnt believe how quickly and easily the questions came. Like you said confidence is KEY.

3679 karma

@uhinberg said:
    Awesome story. I've often thought that the LSAT writers had to be drunk to come up with some of their questions, so perhaps it makes sense that you have to be drunk to get them right.

HAHA

3679 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    Interesting story....on test day you might experience a sense of this "drunkness" naturally. When I started the test I was on freaking autopilot. There was not doubt, or annoyance, or overthinking. It was the question stem, the argument and the answer choices.

THIS is how I hope I take my test!

3679 karma

@TheMikey said:
    im always tipsy

180 here you come!

• NorthernAtticusNorthernAtticus Alum Member
    edited November 2019 79 karma

[deleted]

3679 karma

@"alaric.taves" said:
    I know what you mean - I find that I do my best writing after a glass of whisky. There's a very, very narrow sweet spot for this, though, and it probably shouldn't be made part of the Core Curriculum. ;)

Also, this: https://streamable.com/wtsn

Hahaha! That vid MAY have just convinced me to be slightly inebriated at all times.

• Victoria14Victoria14 Alum Member
    776 karma

I did my best prep test when I got drunk and "brave" according to my boyfriend. No memory what so ever but I cracked 160 solidly lol

• theLSATdreamertheLSATdreamer Alum Member
    1287 karma

hahaah this is awesome.. im doing shots tonight and taking a test.. one shit for every question i think the answer is C.

3679 karma

@theLSATdreamer said:
    hahaah this is awesome.. im doing shots tonight and taking a test.. one shit for every question i think the answer is C.

ha! make you sure you update us on your score... you may have something here...

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    1184 karma

1) I have been in the DFW area for 2 years and did not know Grapefest existed and I am so sad about this
    2) I totally feel you, I have made some of my most best decisions with some drinks but then again I have also made some of my worst lol
    3) I am definitely going to try this when I am healthy to start back at it again. Mixing pain killers and drinks is not a good idea

• Paul PedersonPaul Pederson Member
    903 karma

Grapefest is great, if you ever go make sure to hit up the olive oil store on Main street, it has over 100 different types of olive oil.

903 karma

My wife and I are going to Main street tomorrow for a date lunch.

3679 karma

@ElleWoods77 said:
    1) I have been in the DFW area for 2 years and did not know Grapefest existed and I am so sad about this
    2) I totally feel you, I have made some of my most best decisions with some drinks but then again I have also made some of my worst lol
    3) I am definitely going to try this when I am healthy to start back at it again. Mixing pain killers and drinks is not a good idea

haha! Orrrr mixing pain killers with drinks might just be that one thing we're missing for a 180 - I'm a bad influence don't listen to me.

How have you never heard of Grapefest??????????? It is seriously the best. It actually just might be mediocre but because there's so much wine involved it dilutes your way of thinking and everyone only thinks it's just great. lol Either way I love it.

3679 karma

@"Paul Pederson" said:
    Grapefest is great, if you ever go make sure to hit up the olive oil store on Main street, it has over 100 different types of olive oil.

I love that store! All of main street period is pretty cute. We used to live in Grapevine (also don't do that apartments and homes are overpriced because it's so touristy) so were down there often.

903 karma

@tringo335 said:

@"Paul Pederson" said:

I love that store! All of main street period is pretty cute. We used to live in Grapevine (also don't do that apartments and homes are overpriced because it's so touristy) so were down there often.

It is! My wife and I used to live in an apt right by gaylord, super expensive, Main has great restaurants though, our favorite time to go is during Christmas when it becomes a full on Christmas village.

• leslieh327leslieh327 Alum Member
    130 karma

I had a similar situation while drinking Hennessy one night. Could not believe how on point i was..interesting

3679 karma

@leslieh327 said:
    I had a similar situation while drinking Hennessy one night. Could not believe how on point i was..interesting

There's gotta be something to this. Too many similar experiences lol.

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    1184 karma

@tringo335 said:

@ElleWoods77 said:

haha! Orrrr mixing pain killers with drinks might just be that one thing we're missing for a 180 - I'm a bad influence don't listen to me.

How have you never heard of Grapefest??????????? It is seriously the best. It actually just might be mediocre but because there's so much wine involved it dilutes your way of thinking and everyone only thinks it's just great. lol Either way I love it.

Lol let me not go all wolf on wall street before law school, wine can wait.

Nope never even heard of it, because my job keeps me so busy I usually sleep the weekend away. When I come back and the LSAT is done I will definitely check it out. Girl wine and fried food is far from mediocrity to me, I am going as soon as I get the chance.