Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal Statement Struggles

Alright guys, I've been attempting to write my PS off and on for the last 2 months with no measurable progress. I've written two full PS's which I scrapped completely because they were brutally unpalatable. Any suggestions would be tremendously appreciated, especially in regards to topic brainstorming. I have gone through all the 7sage material available to me [Free account :(] and there are a lot of good ideas, but none that have unlocked my inspiration.

Comments

• Mitchell-1Mitchell-1 Member
    756 karma

No advice, just commiseration. I've scrapped everything I've been writing since June. I hate writing about myself. I wrote a full page second argument against a June LR question today instead. It took me an hour. If only the PS were so easy... Maybe I can just submit that :-p

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

Haha, definitely thinking outside the box, shows your determination to pursue justice in the face of insurmountable evil (LSAT)...
    It's better than anything I've come up with thus far.

• I think it is very hard to give advice to anyone if you haven't really read their personal statements. I am not an expert by any means. But from what I have learnt from a few seminars that I have attended, it needs to be your interview on paper (your experiences, your struggles, the way you have overcame them, why would you like to pursue law, why at that specific school, where does your passion for social justice come from, etc.) Note that these are only some examples. As I said, it is an interview on paper, and obviously, all of us have our own unique stories to tell.

There is no doubt that as any other part of the law school application, the PS is very tough too. I wrote mine last year (it took a few months of writing, and a number of drafts being scrapped). However, I am still not determined if I would want to submit the one that I have wrote. I have a feeling that it still needs a lot of work.

But if any of you may want to read mine and give me some feedback, or would want to send your own to me? I would love to get some feedback on my PS and perhaps look over someone else's and share my thoughts.

• jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
    edited September 2017 630 karma

Omg, I am in the same boat right now. Have literally wrote three personal statements and am not happy with any of them. To be honest, I have heard from a lot of other students who have gotten accepted to law schools that they were never really happy with their personal statement even after submitting it. All in all, it's tough writing about yourself since it's not every day that we write these types of essays.

Good luck though!

• Victoria14Victoria14 Alum Member
    776 karma

I had a friend who got tipsy and just wrote about everything that's frustrated her, or hurt her feelings. It was like 6 pages but by the end she had about 10 different topics about overcoming adversity. It's not the soundest advice but it's an idea! Also, no drinking if you are underage. Go run till you cry or something else lol

1465 karma

@WillGetThisLSAT said:
    I think it is very hard to give advice to anyone if you haven't really read their personal statements. I am not an expert by any means. But from what I have learnt from a few seminars that I have attended, it needs to be your interview on paper (your experiences, your struggles, the way you have overcame them, why would you like to pursue law, why at that specific school, where does your passion for social justice come from, etc.) Note that these are only some examples. As I said, it is an interview on paper, and obviously, all of us have our own unique stories to tell.

There is no doubt that as any other part of the law school application, the PS is very tough too. I wrote mine last year (it took a few months of writing, and a number of drafts being scrapped). However, I am still not determined if I would want to submit the one that I have wrote. I have a feeling that it still needs a lot of work.

But if any of you may want to read mine and give me some feedback, or would want to send your own to me? I would love to get some feedback on my PS and perhaps look over someone else's and share my thoughts.

(1) You're definitely right about everyone's issues being individual. (2) I will gladly read yours and offer what advice I can, and I'll send you mine when i have one... (3) I really likle the idea of your PS being your interview on paper. Maybe try to answer the hypothetical interview question, "Tell me something about yourself that's important to your identity" or something like that.

1465 karma

@Victoria14 said:
    I had a friend who got tipsy and just wrote about everything that's frustrated her, or hurt her feelings. It was like 6 pages but by the end she had about 10 different topics about overcoming adversity. It's not the soundest advice but it's an idea! Also, no drinking if you are underage. Go run till you cry or something else lol

I've actually considered that method, I have a wedding saturday afternoon, so I think i'm going to come home that evening and just write everything that comes to my mind and see where it takes me.

It certainly can't hurt anything :)

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

@Victoria14 said:

https://shannonathompson.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/eddit.jpg

756 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:

@Victoria14 said:

So I have Hemingway's permission to get drunk every night until I have a draft?

• Victoria14Victoria14 Alum Member
    776 karma

@"Mitchell-1" said:

@"Cant Get Right" said:

@Victoria14 said:

The answer to your question is YES

1465 karma

@Mitchell-1 @Victoria14 Looks like we're going to have a lot of rough mornings these next 2 months!

• @tylerdschreur10 said:

@WillGetThisLSAT said:
    I think it is very hard to give advice to anyone if you haven't really read their personal statements. I am not an expert by any means. But from what I have learnt from a few seminars that I have attended, it needs to be your interview on paper (your experiences, your struggles, the way you have overcame them, why would you like to pursue law, why at that specific school, where does your passion for social justice come from, etc.) Note that these are only some examples. As I said, it is an interview on paper, and obviously, all of us have our own unique stories to tell.

(1) You're definitely right about everyone's issues being individual. (2) I will gladly read yours and offer what advice I can, and I'll send you mine when i have one... (3) I really likle the idea of your PS being your interview on paper. Maybe try to answer the hypothetical interview question, "Tell me something about yourself that's important to your identity" or something like that.

Okay, sounds great!!! Thank you. I am actually still working on mine but as soon as I will finish it, I will send it to you, and will be waiting to read yours and offer my advice :) For (3), that is the question that makes me reflect upon my story. How to answer that question if asked by admission committee of a law school.

All the best!

• FerdaFreshFerdaFresh Alum Member
    561 karma

You said you're on a free account? 7Sage's Admissions Course is only $15 and there's a good amount of practical tips in there... and also some inspiring drafts. You should consider giving it a go!

1465 karma

@FerdaFresh said:
    You said you're on a free account? 7Sage's Admissions Course is only $15 and there's a good amount of practical tips in there... and also some inspiring drafts. You should consider giving it a go!

I didn't realise you could get just the admissions course! Thought it only came as a perk of the ultimate plus. I'll definitely look into it, thanks!

edited September 2017 756 karma

@Victoria14 said:

@"Mitchell-1" said:

@"Cant Get Right" said:

@Victoria14 said:

The answer to your question is YES

While I don't normally promote the use of alcohol as an aide, I must admit in this case it's proved quite effective. One bottle of wine in and I came away with an introduction and conclusion I'm very happy with.

edited September 2017 756 karma

. Hit quote instead of edit :-p

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

FWIW, I wrote close to 7 inceptions of what would ultimately become my PS. And fuck, who knows if I'm done forever until I submit it. Point is, just keep writing and writing because a good PS isn't likely to flow out of you or come easily. If you feel like you need professional help then try to enlist the help someone like @"David.Busis" who is literally a master when it comes to these things.

Good luck!

1465 karma

Thanks guys, i appreciate all the advice. i think im starting to get somewhere, i have two partial drafts going, which is progress!